"Radical Prayer"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Alyssa Avant

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (NIV)

Every morning I sit with my Bible, a journal, and a pen, coming before the Lord in prayer and Bible study—what I have always called “my quiet time.” I believe it is a necessity for any Christian and without it, I personally feel lost. Prayer is our connection and communication with our Heavenly Father.

Prayer, though it should come easily, is hard for many of us. We do not let the words flow as we do with a human friend, though we are talking with the most trusted friend any of us could ever have or want, Jesus Christ, and should therefore be an easy conversation to have.

I truly believe in the power of prayer and believe that you can pray about anything. The Bible tells us we are to cast all our cares upon Him, because He cares for us (1 Peter 5:7).

The Lord truly wants us to bring our burdens and cares to Him through prayer. We are to pray about everything, to “pray without ceasing.”

Here are some things that you can pray about:

1. Everyday life situations. You can pray about your friends, your worries, your grades, peer pressure, and your job. LIFE! God understands and He wants you to come to Him with it all.

2. Others. Praying for others, also called intercession, is a privilege and we should always intercede on the behalf of others whether they have asked us to or not, whether they are sick, in need, or when we just want to thank God for them.


3. The future. Yes, it’s uncertain to us, but God knows all about it. Praying for God’s will in our lives will help us to find the future that is best for us, the right path!


4. Thanksgiving. We don’t want to just ASK God for things, we want to take time to THANK HIM for things, as well. Thank God for the many blessings he has given you and your family!


5. Your feelings. God can handle it. Feel angry? PRAY. Hurt? PRAY. Guilty? PRAY. Prayer is always a good answer to how you are feeling.


My Prayer for Today:

Dear Lord, I know that prayer is an important part of my relationship with You. Help me to make it a priority in my life. I am thankful for the opportunity to talk with and seek guidance from You, My Savior. I know without Your guidance I would often go down the wrong path. Thank You for leading me in the right way always and for Your continued faithfulness. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Get Real!, by Rebeccca Ingram Powell

Life Style: Radical Perspectives from Radical Women in the Bible, by Whitney Prosperi

Think About It:

Why is it important to spend time in prayer?

What are some things that you need to take to God in prayer?

When do you currently spend time in prayer? Do you do it enough?

Live It:

Set aside time each day to spend time in prayer.

Start a prayer journal as a way to be more devoted to your prayer time. In your prayer journal, write down your prayers and the date, as well as when and how your prayers are answered.

Power Verses:

Colossians 4:2, “Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart.” (NLT)

James 4:3, “When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.” (NIV)

Ephesians 6:18, “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.” (NIV)

© 2009 by Alyssa Avant. All rights reserved.

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

This is such a helpful article. I am going to post a link to this site. I showed this to my teen and she really likes this. Blessings to you!

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits