"Rise and Shine"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Elizabeth Robertson Williams


Psalm 5:3, “In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.” (NIV)

Do you ever wake up in the morning and consider your options—you could sleep in; watch TV; read the paper; check your MySpace; workout; straighten your hair for that extra pizzazz; OR spend time in prayer and worship before the Lord?

Many mornings, I wake up so late; I barely have time to brush my teeth! Other times I feel like I have all the time in the world, yet I still find a way to fill up my morning without involving the Lord. Then, there are some mornings where I’m so desperate for the Lord that even if it’s five minutes, I have to pray through Scripture just so I can make it through the day.

Obviously the Lord is quick to meet us at all times, day and night, but there is something refreshing when I choose to begin my mornings with Him. Mornings are fresh and the start of a brand new day. Lamentations 3 tells us that the Lord’s compassions are new every morning. Each morning, He is quick to rise and meet us where we are. Each morning, He is ready to shower us with His unfailing love.

My friend Josie is NOT what you call a morning person. When we lived together in college, it would take her about one hour from the time she got out of bed to the time she could function like a normal person. You can imagine my surprise when she recently made it her goal to wake up early and spend time with the Lord each day for a month.

Knowing my own struggles with the waking up, I kept thinking, How does she have the will to get out of bed? How does she resist the urge to hit the snooze button every ten minutes for an hour? I asked her for her secret and she told me that it’s definitely still a struggle, but she chose to be deliberate with her time and honor the commitment she made. When the alarm goes off and she thinks about snoozing, she pictures the Lord waiting to meet with her and sleepily says, “Hi God, I’m ready” and hops out of bed so she doesn’t miss her date.

In today’s verse we see David rising and starting his morning in prayer with the Lord. I love the way he prays, “Lord, in the morning, you hear me calling. In the morning, I pour out my heart to You. In the morning, I wait in expectation, because not only do You hear my voice, You will respond.”

For most of us, mornings may still be a challenge, but my prayer for each of us is that we will have hearts that long for the Lord each day from the minute we open our eyes in the morning to the minute our heads hit the pillow at night.

My Prayer for Today:

Lord, I pray that in the morning, You will be my first priority. Sometimes it is so easy for me to lose sight of You and how important it is to rest in You. Thank You that You are so quick to meet me in the morning. I pray that my heart will long for more of You throughout my day. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Teen Devotional Bible

Making It Real: Whose Faith Is It Anyway?, by T. Suzanne Eller


Holding His Hand: A Devotional for Teen Girls, by Beka Dewitt

Think About It:

What is my biggest obstacle to spending time with the Lord in the mornings?

Do I see a visible difference in my days when I begin them spending time with the Lord versus the days when I run out the door?

Live It:

Set your alarm clock 15 minutes earlier to allow you some time in the morning to rest in the Lord. If you need some extra accountability, ask a friend to give you a call to make sure you’re out of bed.

Before you go to bed, try having all of your bags packed for school, your clothes laid out, and your homework finished, so you won’t have to run around as much in the morning and can have more time to spend with the Lord.

Power Verses:

Psalm 90:14, “Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.” (NIV)

Psalm 143:8, “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.” (NIV)

Lamentations 3:22-23, “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” (NIV)

© 2009 by Elizabeth Robertson Williams. All rights reserved.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits