"Soak Up The Son"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Jessica van Rooyen, Age 16

John 8:12, “When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, ‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.’” (NIV)

I am a person prone to getting sad and depressed in winter. I can’t seem to live without the sunshine. Being born in Africa, I was used to getting my daily Vitamin D dose. But here in Washington the rain just falls. Don’t get me wrong. Some rain is good, just not the continual kind that keeps coming down, down, down. On one of those wet and dismal days, I was feeling particularly down and something hit me. I sit here aching for the sun while God sent His Son just for me. When I am feeling empty, I just need to open my eyes and fill up on some of His glory.

Christ spoke about Himself as the Light of the world. Isn’t that just what the sun is? He is here to turn our darkness into light. Sunshine does that too. Over and over the Bible talks about Jesus as the Light, here to fill us up. I had just never thought about Christ that way. I mean, yes I had thought of Him as the Light of the world, but not as my Light. Do you know what I’ve learned? Jesus will fill our every need if we just let Him. In fact, Jesus says, “…For your father knows what you need before you ask Him.” (Matthew 6:8, NIV). That day, what I needed was sunshine and I got just that…Sonshine. I was filled up completely. Then, in turn, once I had the true Son in me, I radiated Him.

Once we have the Light of the world in our hearts and lives, all darkness will disappear and we will be free to live. He will fill us up and complete us. We will finally be whole and not just empty bodies. So next time you feel empty, go and do what I did…soak up the Son.

My Prayer for Today:

My Savior, my God, thank You for knowing my every need and being my Light. You have saved me, Lord, and I pray that You fill me up so that I am able to radiate Your splendor. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Faith: God Can Work It Out, by Stephanie Perry Moore

Holding His Hand: A Devotional for Teen Girls, by Beka Dewitt

Think About It:

What do I do when I feel empty and in need of fulfillment?

Do I bask in Sonshine on a daily basis?

Do I radiate my God?

Live It:

Every time you feel down or depressed, switch your focus to God. Ask Him to fill you up.

Power Verses:

2 Samuel 22:29, “You are my lamp, O LORD; the LORD turns my darkness into light.” (NIV)

Isaiah 2:5, “Come, O house of Jacob, let us walk in the light of the LORD.” (NIV)

Micah 7:8, “…Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the LORD will be my light.” (NIV)

© 2009 by Jessica van Rooyen. All rights reserved.

Labels: ,



1 Comments:

Blogger jdearing said...

What an insightful post!

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits