"Away from Me, I Never Knew You"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Charlotte Cole

Matthew 7:21-23, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’” (NIV)

Can you imagine the sheer devastation of hearing Jesus say “Away from me” after years of church attendance and religious fulfillments, thinking you made the mark? It’s hard to believe “good” people are actually going to experience that scenario. People who are kind, gracious and considerate will not be welcome into the kingdom of God if they don’t have a personal relationship with Jesus as their Savior.

This verse hits home with me because it describes my former destiny. Growing up, I went to church, was involved in church activities and loved God. I was, however the person Jesus was talking to in Matthew 7:21 because I didn’t know Him personally.

I thought what I did in regards to church was plenty. Certainly there was room for growth but I figured I’d get to that when I got older. I believed it was good enough to go to church, get baptized, talk about heaven and celebrate religious holidays.

Though I talked the talk, I didn’t walk the walk. What if believing everything in the Bible meant having to give up things I was clinging to for security? For instance, what others thought of me. I wasn’t willing to give that up.

Though I clung to others and what they thought of me for security, I had an unfilled longing deep down. With all the “religious” things I had done I had resisted Jesus – the only one who could fill the gaps in my heart. By His grace and mercy, and by no good works of my own, He got through my wall of resistance and became my all and all.

As my personal Lord and Savior, He will not say to me, ”I never knew you.” No, my encounter with Him will be sweet. Matthew 25:31-33 tells us, “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with Him, He will sit on his throne in heavenly glory…He will separate the people…as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world’” (NIV).

John 10:27-28 confirms this with, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.”(NIV).

What is He going to say to you? If you’re not sure, take a minute and ask Him. If you want to go to Him but you are scared, I hope you find comfort in the fact that…

  • You can’t earn God’s acceptance anymore than a child can earn her parent’s love. His love is already there in greater proportion than you could even comprehend.
  • God is not interested in how religious you are. He is interested in your relationship with Him.
  • If you’re scared to go to Jesus because you can’t get over something really wrong in your personal life, i.e. bad activities, thoughts or words: no matter how horrible it is, ask for forgiveness and your slate is wiped clean! No matter what you’ve done.

I encourage you…go to Him and get to know Him so you will know for certain what He’ll say to you on that day.

My Prayer For Today:

Dear Lord, Thank You loving me despite my sin and selfishness. Thank You for the assurance that I will be welcomed in Your kingdom and cared for eternally. For anyone who is searching but can’t quite see You yet, please open her eyes today to the Blessed Assurance that only comes through a relationship with You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

A Young Woman’s Walk with God, by Elizabeth George

The One Year Devos for Teens, by Susie Shellenberger

Think About It:

If no one else on earth were available, would you still have somewhere to turn in times of need?

Is there something you fear about being in a relationship with Jesus? Do you understand He already knows everything about you?

Do you know for certain you are going to Heaven?

Are you ashamed of Jesus?

Live It:

Get one-on-one with Jesus.

If you aren’t certain if you’ve accepted salvation, it’s not too late. Confess your sins, acknowledge Jesus as Lord, and believe He died on the cross for you personally. For more on salvation please visit Do You Know Jesus?

Identify the things you are afraid to let go of if you make this step. Try to imagine what you will gain.

Power Verses:

2 Corinthians 5:17, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (NIV)

Revelation 3:20, “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” (NIV)

Ephesians 2:8, “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.” (NIV)

© 2009 by Charlotte Cole. All rights reserved.

Labels: ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Coleman said...

Charlotte:
This is well written and well stated. You hit the nail on the head: it is all about the relationship. We have made Christianity about our lifestyle. This misses the mark. Thank you for your statement of the simple truth. It will be an encouragement to anyone who reads it!

Blogger Stacy said...

I agree wholeheartedly with Julie. Your style is friendly and inviting, keeping me right along with you absorbing the truth like a sponge!

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits