"Childlike Faith"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.

By: Autumn Sisk

Luke 18:17, “I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” (NIV)

People laugh at me when they find out that I am 30 years old and would rather watch the Disney Channel than any TV show that is full of drama. I prefer fun “teeny bopper” movies to the movies that leave you with a tear in your eye. In my choice of music, I stick to light, happy songs (usually contemporary Christian). Even in my career, I chose to become a youth tennis instructor because I would rather be around children than adults. Some may think I’m strange, but when people say that I am a child at heart, I take it as a compliment.

The reason that I surround myself with childish things is because I long for the innocence of youth in my heart and because Jesus told His disciples that being childlike is the only way to have a good relationship with Him. When Jesus’ disciples tried to send the children away from Jesus, He scolded them. He told His followers how much He loved children and never wanted any child to be turned away. I believe that He loved to be surrounded by their innocence and honesty. He knew that those children truly believed in Him and showed it by their actions. Children have no clue about stereotypes. They do not know about racism or socio-economic status. Children love with their whole hearts and honestly care for those around them. I have seen children of all races and social status walking through the halls of school holding hands and laughing.

Children also believe anything that their parents teach them. I remember when I was about six years old and my granny was at our house visiting. She was a wonderful Christian woman and was always teaching me lessons in faith. We had been outside playing in the summer heat that day. Somehow, I came upon a beautiful butterfly that was having trouble flying. All the butterfly could do was sit there and it broke my heart.

My granny told me that I should pray and ask God to heal the butterfly. Without hesitation, I bowed my head and asked God to allow the butterfly to fly again. Within minutes, the butterfly perked up and was flying around everywhere! To me, as a child, it was no great miracle because I had asked God and He heard me. That was what I had been taught to believe.

As I got older I realized that God had indeed performed a miracle that day. I learned that as you grow up, most people lose their childlike faith. It is as if we are afraid to profess faith in God as young adults because others might think we are silly. It is as if we “out-grow” God.

That really hurts Him. Jesus wants all of us to be like children in our faith. He has the power to do anything we ask of Him, but we must first believe that He can, just like we did as children.

My Prayer for Today:

Dear Lord, help me to recapture my childlike faith in You. I remember the days when I never doubted You. I want to be like that again. I want to come to You with complete openness knowing how much You love me. Thank You for hearing my prayers and answering them. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Faith: God Can Work it Out, by Stephanie Perry Moore

Making it Real: Whose Faith is it Anyway?, by T. Suzanne Eller

Think About It:

Do I feel that I have “out-grown” God?

Do my friends give me a hard time about praying or going to church?

Do I worry that others will think I am stupid if I believe in God?

Live It:

Pray each day that God will help you become more childlike in your faith.

Make a point of keeping the music, television, and movies you watch clean and light-hearted.

Begin praying to God about every detail of your life, no matter how small. He wants to be your closest friend.

Power Verses:

Matthew 19:14, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (NIV)

Matthew 21:22, “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” (NIV)

Mark 5:25-29, “A woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors, and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better, she grew worse. When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind Him in the crowd and touched His cloak because she thought, ‘If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.’ Immediately, her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering.” (NIV)

© 2009 by Autumn Sisk. All rights reserved.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits