"Quenched Thirst"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Rachel Lowman

Psalm 42:1, “As the deer longs for streams of water, my soul longs for You, O God.” (NLT)

In early August before school started, I was in Crumpler, NC (among the Appalachian Mountains) enjoying God’s beautiful creation and relaxing in His presence. One morning, I had my devotion and read Psalm 42 where it talks about deer longing for water and how we should long for the Lord more than thirsty animals long for refreshment.

Unfortunately, on some days, my devotions are more ritualistic than an actual encounter with the Lord and this was one of those days. I wanted to be home because I didn’t have Internet or a good cell signal so that I could stay in contact with my closest friends, but God had other plans. Following my 11:30 a.m. breakfast, I went out on the porch to call my best friend. When I walked onto the porch overlooking the New River, I saw a beautiful doe and her fawn in the center of the river. My menial devotion convicted my spirit as I watched the deer drink of the refreshing mountain river to satisfy their thirst. As this awareness became real to me, I intently watched the doe to see what she might do next. She slowly looked up and seemed to stare right into my eyes as her fawn entered the brush behind her. She didn’t possess any fear of me for I was not there to harm her. What happened next is truly awesome; God spoke to my heart His immense love for me and how He longed for me to just be at peace. I was suddenly overwhelmed with it and forgot I was on the phone with my best friend. As I stood there, verse one of Psalm 42 repeated continually in my mind and gradually engraved itself on my heart.

All too often, I am so wrapped up in my inability to communicate with others because other things get in the way, when I should really only be concerned with my communication with the Lord. I’m not saying I am always where I should be spiritually, but the love I have for my God now has only grown since the beginning of my walk with Him 10 years ago. I am even more assured that HE is God and there is NO other. Honestly how could there be? I have not felt the presence of anything greater than the God I serve and will live with in eternity.

Those few days in the mountains were a learning experience for me to relax truly, in the Lord and not desire other things to fill my restlessness. I have become more aware of how much hope I truly have in Him. He is lovely, powerful, amazing, awe-inspiring, and the Creator of all, whose attributes are in creation (Psalm 19 and Romans 1:20). OH His beauty!!! Though we ask, “How can His beauty be missed?” do we ever consider the consequence of missing it? Do we share it with those who miss it?

My Prayer for Today:

Lord, I desire to long for You as a deer does for streams of water. You are the only One that quenches my thirsty heart. The beauty You have placed in creation takes my breath away and I ask You show Yourself to me in such a way that I can’t help but praise You! I desire You in my inmost for You are the upmost. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Holding His Hand: A Devotional for Teen Girls, by Beka Dewitt

Teen Devotional Bible

Think About it:

Has my walk with the Lord been in a place where all that I see reminds me of His glory and might?

Do streams of water and magnificent sunrises remind of the Word I read earlier that morning, bringing me closer to His throne?

Has my life been different since the day I received Christ as my Savior and Lord? Am I growing in that relationship?

Live It:

Set aside time each day for a “snack” in the Bible. This “snack” is separate from your devotion; it is a time where you pick a Bible book and daily read through it. Allow God to surprise and speak to you through all that you encounter.

Power Verses:

John 4:13-14, “Jesus answered, ‘Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.’” (NIV)

Psalm 42:2, “My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?” (NIV)

© 2009 by Rachel Lowman. All rights reserved.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits