"Never Judge a Book By Its Cover...Or a Person"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Kirsten Wilson

John 7:24, "Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment.” (NIV)

The first time I saw “her” I immediately did not like her. She was so outgoing and everyone who met her loved her. I, on the other hand, had no intention of getting to know her or even being her friend. I made a pretty harsh first impression, on no grounds. You see, she was hanging out with my friends and I did not like new people joining my group. I was nice to her on the outside, but on the inside did not care for her. Well, God certainly has a funny sense of humor. He decided to teach me a little lesson on judging others.

Through a series of events, Natalie and I became roommates a few weeks into the semester. By living with her and being around her on a day to day basis I came to realize that I had made a completely wrong assumption and that we were actually very much alike. We started off as roommates and soon became inseparable. I came to realize the reason that I did not care for her was because she was exactly like me; outgoing, fun and friends with everyone. In a way, I guess I felt threatened by this “new girl.” If I had taken the time to get to know her sooner our friendship would have started earlier. Instead, I wasted time judging her.

Looking back, if you had told me that day that she would become my roommate, best friend, and maid of honor in my wedding, I would have thought you were crazy. Today I encourage you to be open to the people God will place in your life. Be open to the new friendships and relationships that you will encounter. Trust me, I know it’s hard opening up to new people, but you never know what kind of amazing friendships God is going to throw your way!

My Prayer for Today:

Lord, please help me to be open to everything that You want to show me today. Please help me to reflect You in all that I say and do. Please help me to be open for all the new friendships and people that You will bring into my life. Help me to be accepting and open for all that You have for me. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Every Teen Girl's Little Pink Book on Girlfriends, by Cathy Bartel

Teen People of the Bible, by Daniel Darling

Think About It:

Is there anyone that God has brought into your life that you haven’t really gotten to know?

Can you think of someone that you might have made a wrong assumption about?

Live It:

Start looking at people with a different attitude. Look at them as Christ looks at them.

Make an effort this week to get to know someone that you normally wouldn’t. You never know what new friendships you might make.

Power Verses:

Matthew 7:1-2, "Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging." (Message)

Romans 14:13, “Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.” (ESV)

© 2009 by Kirsten Wilson. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits