"Pressing On"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Autumn Sisk

Philippians 3:13-14, “…But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” (NIV)

Do you ever have days when you feel like giving up? Maybe you are working hard to try and get a college scholarship, or to make the team, or to have a positive impact on another person’s life. Whatever it is that you are striving for, you will have days when you feel like throwing in the towel.

I have learned from experience that the closer you are to finally obtaining your goal, the more obstacles seem to get in the way. You may not know this, but Satan wants nothing more that to see the children of God give up their fight. He wants us to give up when the going gets tough. He thinks and hopes that by throwing challenges in our way, he will be able to throw us off course. He also wants to keep us from serving God when things don’t go as we had hoped or planned.

An example of this comes from the Old Testament when God’s chosen people, Israel, were wandering in the desert looking for the land God had promised them. God had already sent Moses to rescue them from slavery in Egypt. They had seen all of the plagues that God had sent on Egypt and Pharaoh in order to make the Pharaoh release them. They had even watched as God parted the waters of the Red Sea for them to flee Egypt safely. After they were finally free, they were led into the desert. There was no food for them to eat, but instead of having faith that God would provide for them as He had so many times before, they began to doubt God’s faithfulness. Once again God showed them His favor and provided “manna from heaven” and quail for them to eat each day. He also provided drinking water for them so they would not die in the desert.

Even after all of God’s miracles, these people still lost their faith each time something didn’t go the way they thought it should. After many years of wandering in the desert, the Israelites made it to the Promised Land. The reason for the long wait: they allowed Satan and their own rebelliousness to throw them off course in their walk with God. They allowed stumbling blocks to keep them from receiving what God wanted them to have earlier.

Are we like the Israelites? Although we know that God has never let us down, do we still doubt Him? I must admit that I catch myself doing this from time to time. I forget about all of His blessings and start grumbling in my mind about things that I want. I get upset with God’s timing and question His reasons. We must all learn to fight this temptation when we face it. We must pray and ask God to help us look ahead with eyes of faith, with the knowledge that He will continue to be with us every day as we strive to live for Him. Put those negative thoughts behind you and press on!

My Prayer for Today:

Dear Lord, I ask that you give me strength to keep going when I am weary and feel like giving up. Remind me that You will never give up on me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Wise Up, by Rebecca Powell

Life Style: Radical Perspectives from Radical Women in the Bible, by Whitney Prosperi

Think About It:

How often do I feel like God has forgotten about me?

Do I allow struggles and hardships to throw me off course in life?

Live It:

Read Exodus 15:22-17:16. Ask God to make your faith strong when doubts arise about His reasons for things that occur in your life.

Write down your goals. Write down goals for school, friendship, family, and ministry. Keep track of how you are doing with these goals.

Power Verses:

Philippians 1:6, “Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” (NIV)

Philippians 4:19, “And my God will meet all of your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” (NIV)


© 2009 by Autumn Sisk. All rights reserved.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits