"Who's Got Your Back?"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Bradelyn Levi

1 Samuel 14:7, “‘Do all that you have in mind,’ his armor-bearer said, ‘Go ahead, I am with you heart and soul.’” (NIV)

We have all experienced the pain of having a friend hurt our feelings, turn their back on us, or say something that broke our hearts. It is a terrible feeling that I would not wish on anyone because often times it hurts more than we would like to admit.

When I was in high school, people used to say things that really upset me and hurt my feelings. The hardest part was that they were people I thought were my friends. There were many times that I would go home upset from what someone had said about me, but there was always one person I could count on to have my back. She was my best friend; we did everything together and I mean everything. I knew that no matter what happened she would be there. She was my “armor-bearer.” She was the one that would encourage me to chase my dreams and would go with me, if she could. Friends like this are one of God’s greatest blessings.

It can be so hard to have strong, true friendships in high school, especially when you begin to live out your faith and follow God. Often when that happens, people who you thought were your friends may fade into the background and sometimes you discover they were never really your friends to begin with. In these hard moments, it is important to surround yourself with people who are with you “heart and soul.” These are the people who build you up instead of tearing you down, the ones who tell you to go for your dreams and not look back.

The people who are with us no matter what happens, who we turn to when the going gets tough, who pray with us, challenge and encourage us to follow the dreams that God has for us are our true friends. These are the people whom God wants us to surround ourselves with and share our lives with.

Who has your back?

Are you surrounding yourself with people who encourage you or people who tear you down? Who do you turn to when you are having a rough day? Who encourages you to keep going when things get hard? Who are the people that you know love you and only want the best for you?

We do not just need good friends, but we also need to be a good friend. It is important as a young woman of God to be the friend that is encouraging, loving, supportive and trustworthy to our friends. This can be as simple as not allowing someone to gossip to you or spread rumors about a friend. Be honest with your friends, encourage them and challenge them to grow in their relationship with Christ. Sometimes being a friend is hard work. It may mean telling someone the truth even if it hurts. However, be the type of friend that you want to have, even when it is hard! Being and having this type of friend is definitely worth it!

My Prayer for Today:

Father God, thank You that You are first and foremost the best friend we could ever have. I pray that You would give me the strength and courage to be a good friend to those around me. Guide and help me as I build strong friendships with the people around me and help me to be the type of friend that I want to have. Allow me to shine your light and love to my friends and the people that You place in my path. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Every Teen Girl’s Little Pink Book on Girlfriends, by Cathy Bartel

Think About It:

Am I surrounding myself with good friends that look out for me and encourage me?

What can I do to be a better friend to the people in my life?

Do I encourage my friends to have a deeper relationship with Christ?

Live It:

Don’t talk bad about your friends or the people around you.

Pray for strong friends and pray for your existing friendships to be strengthened.

Be a listening ear for a friend in need.

Power Verses:

John 15:13, “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.” (NIV)

Hebrews 10:24-25, “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the day approaching.” (NIV)

© 2009 by Bradelyn Levi. All rights reserved.

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits