"Think About These Things"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Autumn Sisk


Philippians 4:8, “Finally brothers (and sisters), whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.” (NIV)

Not too long ago I heard a sermon based on this verse. It was AWESOME!!!
I saw this verse in a way I never had before. The pastor described it this way: You and I go through each day, and without realizing it, our actions and attitudes are shaped by our thoughts. If we think about things that are not noble or true or pure, then our actions will be less than noble, true or pure. For example, if I think negative thoughts about the people that I work with, then I will eventually begin to behave negatively toward those people. I may not even realize it, but it’s true! I see it very clearly now.

Think about all of the gossip that goes on at school each day. If you are a girl who allows yourself to listen to and think about the rumors you hear, then you will become a gossip too.

Your mind really has a huge influence over your actions.

Therefore, if we constantly think positive, pure and hopeful things, then we will become the type of person that our Lord Jesus wants us to be. If God’s children are not positive, then we won’t be able to show others the gift of God’s love to us. Jesus said that His followers are “the light of the world,” and that we must share this light and our hope with others because they might find hope in Christ just as we have. If we allow our thoughts and actions to turn nasty, then we are not allowing God’s light to shine through us.

Today I challenge you to write Philippians 4:8 on a note card. Anytime your thoughts turn sour, look to this verse to help you remember what you have been called to do as a follower of Jesus. You see, our enemy, the devil, wants to get into our heads and keep us from doing good and spreading God’s love and hope. Don’t let him win. Fight the good fight and think about these things!!!

Prayer:

Dear Lord, Thank You for giving me Your Holy Word to help me through life. I commit today to begin thinking about good and pure things. Please help me to do this so I may give glory to You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Related Resources:

A Young Woman’s Walk with God:Growing More Like Jesus, by Elizabeth George

Wise Up, by Rebecca Ingram Powell

Think About It:

Do I tend to see the bright side of situations or do I immediately see the bad?

Are my friends negative? Do they help me think positive thoughts, or do they influence me to think negatively?

Live It:

Memorize Philippians 4:8 and recite it to yourself when you need a positive lift.

When those around you begin to drag your mind into the gutter, remove yourself from the situation or speak up against it.

Power Verses:

1 Peter 5:8, “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” (NIV)

Psalm 19:14, “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.” (NIV)

© 2009 by Autumn Sisk. All rights reserved.


Labels: , , ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Katie said...

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! I love how you showed me to apply that to my life! Thank you, thank you, Thank you!!!!

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits