"The Faith to Trust"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Kaley Scott
Age 17

**Kaley is one of our contest winners who submitted this devotion and won a full scholarship to this year’s She Speaks Conference Next Generation Track.

Proverbs 3:5, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.” (ESV)


Last summer, as I was volunteering at a family camp in Colorado, I met Grace, a quiet and kind-hearted girl. During one of our evening bible studies Grace shared her testimony. It was a testimony that convicted me.

Four years prior, Grace’s mom died after her battle with cancer. Grace described to us the struggle, heartache and sorrow she felt as she watched her mother suffer such pain. She explained to us, that although she didn’t know why God allowed her mom to die, she was confident that He was in control and had a plan and a purpose for everybody and everything.

Grace did not try to figure everything out on her own. She was not angry with God. She did not try to control the situation. Even as she shared her testimony she was grieving her mother’s death, yet she still trusted the Lord.

I was moved by Grace’s faith and trust in the Lord. I try to control so much of my life and realized at that moment that I need to give it all up to God. I needed to stop relying on myself and declare my dependence on Him.

Jeremiah 29:11 says, “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future’” (NIV). Our sense of control is nothing but an illusion. God already has a plan for us. Don’t we often resist giving that control to God because we’re afraid of the outcome? When situations don’t turn out the way we expected, is our first response to get angry at God? Fear and anger are often keep us from giving God control.

Giving up our “control” to God is not easy. It’s something we constantly have to work on. Don’t you think it’s worth it though? After all, God does promise to prosper us and give us hope and a future. I encourage you to trust in God for everything. He knows what is best for you. He loves you and will take care of you. Jeremiah 17:7 says, “Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD” (ESV).


Prayer:

Dear Lord, please help me to trust in You with all of my heart. Please help me to give up this false sense of control and to look to You instead of myself. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Related Resources:

My Life Unscripted: Who’s Writing Your Life?, by Tricia Goyer

Think About It:

What is the root of my control? (Pride? Fear? Idolatry? Lack of faith?)
What am I going to do to give up that control?

Live It:

Make a list of verses that remind you that you are not in control. Meditate on these verses and commit to memorizing one or two that convict you.

Pray every morning and acknowledge that God is in control. Admit that you are weak and can do nothing without Him. Dedicate every day to the Lord. End each day in the same way.

Power Verses:

Ephesians 2:8-9, “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not by your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” (ESV)

Psalm 37:5, “Commit your ways to the LORD; trust in Him, and He will act.” (ESV)

© 2009 by Kaley Scott. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:

What’s your favorite Bible verse about trusting God?





Labels: ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Mellie said...

This is awesome. Thank yo for sharing and encouraging an old lady. Melissa

Anonymous Kristen said...

I love Matthew 14:22-33, when Jesus comes walking on water to the disciples. Peter gets out of the boat and begins walking toward Him but then gets distracted by the wind and begins to sink. When he cries out to Jesus, Jesus immediately saves him and says, "You of little faith...why did you doubt?"

This passage makes me think of how often I get distracted by the "wind" & "waves" in my life and doubt God will come through. In those times I start to sink, but as soon as I call out to God, He always saves me. He proves He is trustworthy over and over again. We don't need to doubt His power or His love for us. What an awesome God we have. :-)

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits