"Light Your Path"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Rachel Lowman

Psalm 119:105-107, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. I have sworn and I will confirm it, that I will keep Your righteous ordinances. I am exceedingly afflicted; Revive me, O Lord, according to Your word.” (NASB)


This is a commonly quoted verse that has much more meaning than one might think when looking at the verse from the surface. The Word is a place of conviction, restoration, and redemption. This realization did not completely set in until recently for me. I went to church, as I do every Sunday, and the speaker that day spoke on reaching our world for Christ and allowing our walk to be one that impacts others. A true story he told convicted my heart in a way I did not expect. The story was one of three guys who were discussing the Word and Jesus with an atheist. They had gone on for a few hours about how the Word of God is truth and is complete. Finally the atheist asked something to the effect of, “Have you all read through this Bible you believe?” Spellbound, these men all said no and the atheist simply laughed, asking how they know it is all the truth when they haven’t even read the whole thing.

Once I heard that closing to the story I sat shocked with the idea that the atheist was right! How do I expect other people to believe in the Lord and that His Word is completely infallible when I haven’t read the whole thing?!?

So now I ask you: Have you read this book that we say is complete truth? I know I haven’t read it all, cover to cover. But guess what? Reading the whole Bible is now one of my goals for this year. Why? I want to be able to tell people without a doubt the Bible is truth and I stand upon it without wavering.

The verse above from Psalms lays it out perfectly: The Word of the Lord
is a lamp for our feet and a light for our path. You and I must bind ourselves to the Word, for it revives and renews our afflicted lives. The Lord wants us to know Him and to make Him known; thus, we must be aware of what He says.

I challenge you, if you haven’t already, to read the Bible in a year or make it a goal to read two chapters of the Old and New Testament until you’re done. If you’ve already done it again, read through it again; you will be amazed at all the new things you see as you read. Though some may not make complete sense to us now, it still lets us know of the laws before and how they were fulfilled through Christ. So let us become enthralled with the words of the Lord we worship, in order for us to share the love and greatness of our God to the rest of the world.

Prayer:

Lord, thank You for making Your Word accessible to me. I pray You forgive me for being apathetic about Your Word. Please help me to read Your Word with such diligence so that I may learn more about You than I have ever known. Help my eyes be open to those around me who are unaware of Your love and greatness. Give me strength to share Your love with them as I continue to learn more about You. Thank You for being God and loving me despite my struggles. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

One Year Bible Reading Plan

Teen Devotional Bible

Think About It:

How do my life choices reflect God’s truth to this lost world?

In what ways can I become more in love with the Word than I am now?

Live It:

Begin spending 15 minutes a day just focusing on the Lord increasing that time as the communion grows deeper.

Keep a journal of what you do not completely understand from the Word.
Also write down the lessons you learn and discuss and share them with a close friend or parent.

Power Verses:

2 Timothy 3:16-17, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (NIV)

Psalm 119:10-11, “I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” (NIV)


© 2009 by Rachel Lowman. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:

What have you learned recently from reading the Bible?

Labels: , , ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Brent Rasmussen said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blogger ShonaSemone said...

It's amazing that I read this today, because currently I've been trying to read my bible a bit more. Thanks for the reminder that I must know what I claim to believe, by reading God's Word

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits