"Closing the Door to Fear"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.

By: Emily Watkins


Isaiah 41:10, “Don't panic. I'm with you. There's no need to fear for I'm your God. I'll give you strength. I'll help you. I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you.” (Message)


Most of us experience some measure of fear in our lives, even if we are not aware of it. Perhaps it is the fear of failure, heights, public speaking, disappointment, or loss. In this time of economic recession, fear seems to be a prevailing emotion among many adults. That is why, as teenagers, we need to set an example by not letting fear control our lives (1 Timothy 4:12).

So, what is fear and, most importantly, how can we overcome it?

I used to be very fearful as a child. I grew up in Poland, so when I turned four, my parents sent me to a Polish preschool. I didn’t understand a word of Polish, and I was terrified. Throughout preschool and kindergarten I did not speak a word, even though after a while I understood what my classmates were saying. Then, one day first grade came around, and I made a decision. I chose to speak from the very first day I set my foot in class, and I did. At first it was hard, but after a while it became perfectly natural.

Part of overcoming fear involves making a decision not to let fear rule our lives. Fear steals our joy and freedom, and keeps us from entering into the awesome plans that God has for our lives. That’s why God tells us 365 times in the Bible not to fear, once for every day of the year. Whether it is rational or irrational, fear is “negative faith” that paralyzes us. When we are anxious, it is as if we are declaring that God does not have complete control over our lives.

There are several ways to combat fear. For one, we can face our fears by stepping into the very center of the situation that frightens us. By forcing ourselves to confront our fear, we almost always discover that there was no real reason to worry!

The second weapon we can use against fear is the Word of God. Fear is not an emotion given to us by God, and that’s why we need to fight it. By proclaiming God’s love and protection over our lives in Scripture, we command every spirit of fear to immediately leave our hearts. Many fears are rooted in a desire to be loved and to please others, but as we begin to understand more of God’s unconditional love for us, the Holy Spirit will supply us with the courage and confidence we need to face every frightening situation. The Bible says that perfect love casts out all fear, so I encourage you today to think about God’s love as you lay down every anxiety at His feet (1 John 4:18). Let’s not let fear rule our lives, not for one second!

Prayer:

Father, thank You that “You did not give me a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and of a sound mind” (2 Timothy 1:7, NKJV). Help me to overcome fear in my life as I daily choose to trust in You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Related Resources:


Think About It:

What are some of the sources of fear in your life? Sometimes fears can be rooted in the lies that we have accepted about ourselves. What is the truth about those fears, especially considering your identity as a daughter of Christ (Romans 8:15)?


Live It:


Memorize at least one of the verses used in the devotion. Every time you feel anxious, recite it several times quietly or out loud. I guarantee you that it will help!


Power Verses:


Psalm 27:1, “The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?” (NIV)


Psalm 34:4, “I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.” (NIV)

© 2009 by Emily Watkins. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:



What do you do to calm your fears when you are afraid?

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits