"Mean Girls"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.

By: Lynn Cowell

Nahum 1:7, “The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in Him.” (NLT)

The words on Facebook glared back at her. “You are so ugly! You are fat, annoying and I hate you!” Lindsay just sat there staring at the screen. “What did I say? What did I do?”

Maybe this has happened to you before. Or maybe you are fortunate enough to have never faced the type of flat out rejection that Lindsay did. I recently spotted a t-shirt at the mall that read, “You’re no one until someone talks about you.” Growing up today in a world where Mean Girls and Gossip Girl are our movie and T.V. titles, it comes as no surprise that many of us have been there. We have all experienced rejection or not being accepted by someone or a group of people at some point.

These feelings of being unaccepted are definitely not new. In Song of Solomon 1:5, we are first introduced to a young girl who feels the same way: “Don’t look down on me because I am dark…” (Message). She felt rejected. Those feelings are so opposite of what we want to feel. We want to be accepted!

So what can we do when we feel out, when we feel rejected? For me, it helps to find out where I am in, where I belong. The Lord is very specific about how He feels about me:

“My beloved is mine, and I am His…” (Song of Solomon 2:16a, NKJV). I am His beloved!

“…You're beautiful from head to toe, my dear love, beautiful beyond compare, absolutely flawless.” (Song of Solomon 4:7b, Message).

“The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord” (Psalm 45:11, NIV).

These are the types of verses I put everywhere so that I can read them over and over and over again. When I feel rejected, these words remind me that I am accepted. When mean girl (and life) get you down and cause you to feel like you’re not in the “in” crowd, like you don’t fit their standards, like you’re not good enough, or you don’t belong, remember what God says. You are accepted. You are loved exactly as you are. The world may tell you hurtful things about yourself or reject you, but their words do not reflect the reality of God’s feelings for you. God’s truths, His promises in His Word stand forever, and those are what we must listen to.


Prayer:


Dear Jesus, Rejection is really hard to take. Please help me to run to You and fill myself up with Your love and truth. Help me to understand how much You accept and love me. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Lies Young Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Dannah Gresh

Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely by Melody Carlson

Think About It:

When someone puts me down, how do I respond?

Am I cautious about the words I say or the way I treat others so that I myself am not a “mean girl”?

Live It:

Look around you. Find a person who may be feeling rejected and purposefully reach out to them.

Write out one of the verses in the devo and give it to a friend who needs to hear those words.

Power Verses:

Zephaniah 3:17, “The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” (NIV)

Zechariah 2:8, “For this is what the Lord Almighty says, ‘…for whoever touches you touches the apple of his eye." (NIV)


© 2009 by Lynn Cowell. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:

Do you have “mean girls” at your school? How do you deal with them in a godly way?

Labels: , , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits