"You've Got Talent"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.

By: Autumn Sisk


Matthew 25:14-18, “Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them. To one he gave five talents of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The man who had received five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more. So also, the one with the two talents gained two more. But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.”(NIV)



If you don’t know the end of this parable, the master comes home from his journey and sees that the first two men have put their talents to work and earned more from what he entrusted to them. He is very pleased and allows them to keep what they have earned. However, the man who didn’t use his talent to earn more is punished by having his only talent taken away. The master gives this man’s only talent to the one who already had five.



Doesn’t that seem unfair? The poor guy was just playing it safe. Why should he be punished for taking his one talent and hiding it so nobody else could get it? However, why would the master give away talents if they aren’t to be used?



Just like the parable of the talents, God gives each person a unique ability or talent that is her own. Some people have only one talent, and others have many talents. No matter how many or few you have been given, God gave them to you for a reason. He gives us talents so we can use them to bring Him glory and pleasure. The worst thing we can do is hide our talents and let them go unused. Like the man in the parable who took his one talent and buried it, if we do not use our talent, it will go to waste. If we use our talents, however, it brings joy to the Lord.



Are you using your talents?



Here’s a quick story from my life. When I was 10 years old, I picked up a tennis racquet for the first time. It was the hand of God that led me to start playing at all because in my small town, nobody played tennis. It didn’t take long for my parents and a local tennis pro to realize God had given me an exceptional talent.



My parents urged me to use the talent God had given me, and I have always tried to do that. I worked very hard to become a competitive tennis player, and competed at the national level through my teenage years. When it came time for high school graduation, I was offered a full college scholarship and gladly accepted it. By using the talent God had given me, I was able to earn a college degree, represent my school’s tennis team, and set a couple of school records. The Lord also allowed me to meet many wonderful people through tennis, and I still play every day.



Along the way, I found that God has given me another talent – working with children and teens. Today I run a tennis program for kids and teenagers at the YMCA. I still don’t know all God has in store for me in life, but I know as long as I am putting His talents to use, I am making Him proud.



Don’t bury your talent in a hole and let it go unused. Get out there, discover your talents, and use them for God!



Prayer:



Lord, thank You for the talents You have given to me. Please allow me to use them for Your glory. Lead me down the path that makes You proud. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.



Related Resources:



Blossom Biblezine: The Complete New Testament for Girls (Ages 9-12)



Biblezine 2009: The Complete New Testament for Girls (Ages 13-19)



Think About It:



What are my talents? (Make a list)



Am I using my talents for the Lord?



Live It:



Ask the Lord to reveal to you what your talents are. Also, take a spiritual gifts inventory to find out what your spiritual gifts are.



Take every opportunity to use your talents. You may have to make a few sacrifices (missing some social outings with friends), but work to make good use of the talent God has given you.



Power Verses:



Colossians 3:17, “And whatever you do, whether in word of deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.” (NIV)



1 Peter 4:10, “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in the various forms.” (NIV)



© 2009 by Autumn Sisk. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:


What are your talents and how are you using them for God?

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits