"A Little Lesson in Weed-eating"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.

By: Emily Watkins


Hosea 10:12, “Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the LORD.” (NIV)


This week, I rolled up my sleeves and spent an entire afternoon pulling weeds from my yard. Thankfully, my family helped me in this back-breaking, nail-splitting task. What had started out as a handful of weeds when we first moved into our house had turned into an epidemic of unruly weeds scattered across our yard. “Why, oh why didn’t I do this sooner?”, I thought as I yanked out the umpteenth weed from the ground. After all, I could have saved us so much trouble!


Like the bright dandelions children pick for their mothers, some weeds look sweet when in reality they are dressed-up parasites that spread like wildfire. With weeds, there should be no putting off until tomorrow what we can do today.


Sometimes I wonder why God created weeds and troublesome insects like mosquitoes. The Bible says that “The Lord has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble” (Proverbs 16:4, ESV). Although I still don’t know what God had in mind when He made mosquitoes, I think I’ve found God’s special message in weeds. While I was working in my back yard, the Lord challenged me to begin pulling out the “weeds” in my own life.


Just as every good gardener devotes time to weed his or her garden, we also need to protect the soil of our hearts, so that the Lord may transform our hearts into sachets of His pleasing and holy aroma. “Weeds” like unforgiveness, pride, doubt, gossip, disobedience, anger or lust choke God’s Word in our lives. These cripple the fruits of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22).


With each passing day, these weeds dig their roots deeper and deeper into the soil of our hearts until we need to ask our family, friends, and most importantly God, for help. We cannot free ourselves from sin by mowing over it, because weeds reproduce from their roots. Only through prayer, praise and Scripture can we break up the hard unplowed ground of our hearts and begin pulling out our “weeds” – one at a time.

Weeding my yard this week I learned that this is not always pleasant. It’s a constant struggle. However, if we are diligent, we won’t need to take out the hoe and spend hours weed-eating. By keeping watch over our soil and watering it daily with God’s Word, we can clear the way for an abundant harvest of righteousness, leaving little room for the pesky weeds that try and take root in our hearts.

I encourage you today to pull up your sleeves and join me in the garden of your heart. The sooner we get started the better!

Prayer:

Lord, thank You so much for the fruit of Your Spirit that is already living in my heart. I realize there are many “weeds” in my life that are disturbing Your fruit’s growth. Father, You are the true gardener (John 15:1). Help me tend my garden. Show me the “weeds” I need to pull out of my life and thank You for planting Your seeds of righteousness in their place as I study Your Word. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.



Related Resources:


Wise Up by Rebecca Ingram Powell




Think About It:


Spend a couple minutes in silence asking the Lord to help you identify the “weeds” in your life. What are some ways you can “uproot” them and prevent them from sprouting up again in your heart?


Live It:


Once you spot your “weeds,” use a Bible thesaurus to look up scriptures that address those areas. I encourage you to use these verses as good “fertilizer” for your heart.


Power Verses:


Deuteronomy 22:9, “Don't plant two different kinds of seeds in your vineyard. Otherwise, both crops will be ruined.” (NCV)


Isaiah 58:11, “The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.” (NIV)


© 2009 by Emily Watkins. All rights reserved.
Photo courtesy of Flickr.

+

Tell Us About It:


Has the Lord ever spoken to you through nature? If so, what did He tell you?

Labels: , ,



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love spending a little time outside after it has grown dark and the stars have come out. God speaks to me through the stars. I see that even though they seems small, insignificant, and as if they are unimportant or one would not be missed, each one is so important in God's sight that He gave each one a name. It is that way with me. I feel small, unimportant and as if the world would continue to turn if I were not here, but God has a purpose for me. He put me in this place and time for a specific reason. When we look at up-close pictures of the far-away stars, we see they are much larger than we imagine on dark nights. We each have a wealth of potential and purpose that God has planted in us. Let us seize it and shine like stars.
Rachelle

Anonymous Kristen said...

Thanks for your comment Rachelle. I love the stars too. Great point you made that each of us has a special purpose & each of us is important no matter how "small" we may feel.

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits