"Mr. Right" - Part One

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Autumn Sisk


Philippians 4:19, “And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” (NIV)


I’m a sap for a good love story. Give me a romantic comedy and I get giddy! The problem with movies and novels though is they aren’t real life. They lead us to believe something that is unrealistic, which leaves us disappointed when life doesn’t play out like a fairy tale. Most of us grow up with the fantasized view of love our media portrays, where everyone is in love and happy all the time. Keep in mind, those people in the movies also look drop-dead gorgeous too - which we know is not realistic!



The reason culture portrays dating and boyfriends as so “fantastic” is they do not know our Lord Jesus Christ. People who don’t know Jesus as their personal Savior are always looking for the next thing to make them feel happy or complete. Boyfriends are not supposed to “complete” us, as Tom Cruise so sweetly tells Renee Zellweger in the movie Jerry Maguire. That is not it at all.


Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is the only one who can ever make us whole. No human will ever measure up to the media’s standards. We will forever be looking for something or someone to fill the space in our hearts that only Christ can fill. We believe there is a perfect person out there and when we meet him bells and whistles will go off and we will be forever happy.


Don’t get me wrong, when you fall in love, it will seem perfect for a while and you will feel like you have never felt before. The only problem is that after a certain amount of time passes, no matter how wonderful your boyfriend is, you will start to see his flaws.


If you have a strong relationship with Christ, then you will be able to love that guy despite his flaws. Unconditional love is an amazing gift from Christ. He loves us despite our imperfections. Loving unconditionally is not easy, even if you have a strong relationship with Christ, but is virtually impossible if you don’t know Him.


Knowing I am not perfect, yet God loves me, makes it much easier for me to love others when they annoy me or make me angry. Instead of hitting the road, I am able to see the good in them because I know that my Savior sees the good in me.


Stay tuned next time for Part Two on Mr. Right and loving as Christ does!

(Part Two can be read this Friday.)


Prayer:


Dear Lord, thank You for being all that I need. I ask Your direction in dating. Help me love others unconditionally and see the good more often than the bad. I love You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


Related Resources:


For Such a Time as This by Lisa Ryan


Eyes Wide Open: Avoiding the Heartbreak of Emotional Promiscuity by Brienne Murk


Think About It:


Do I tend to fall in and out of love quickly? Why is that?


Do I look to God to fulfill my needs or to boyfriends?


Live It:


Pray each day that God would teach you to be happy with yourself whether you are single or dating.


Write down all the traits you would like in a boyfriend. Ask God to show you His desires for you in dating and a boyfriend.


Power Verses:


1 Corinthians 13:4-8, “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” (NIV)


1 John 4:11-12, “Dear friends, since God has loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God, but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us.” (NIV)



© 2009 by Autumn Sisk. All rights reserved.

Photo courtesy of Janoid via Flickr.

+

Tell Us About It:


What characteristics are you looking for in a Godly guy?


Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits