"My Attitude is Lazy"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.

By: Katie Rath

Romans 3:31, “But by shifting our focus from what we do to what God does, don't we cancel out all our careful keeping of the rules and ways God commanded? Not at all. What happens, in fact, is that by putting that entire way of life in its proper place, we confirm it.” (The Message)



By nature I’m not a lazy person. When I was in college, I held down four jobs, earned two degrees, lead worship for a campus ministry, and was involved in many clubs and organizations.

Often I would have liked to slow down and quit some of those things. Yet I knew God’s plan is for me to stick them out. I had to learn to trust that when I felt sluggish and lazy, God would give me the physical energy to get through each task. Even more, I trusted Him to help my attitude when it became lazy.

What’s a lazy attitude? Have you ever been so caught up in your busy schedule that you forget about other responsibilities? Or you don’t check yourself before responding to others and you bite their heads off? Or so many things are running through your head you don’t focus on the task – or person – in front of you? That’s what I’m talking about.

I feel pretty good about having my priorities in order, but often my heart isn’t focused where it should be. For instance, one day when talking with my roommate about something very important to her, I tuned her out. I was there physically – I even prayed with her! But my attitude was lazy and I didn’t fully respond like I should have to my friend in need.

Another time, I had to leave a meeting early to get to another job. Even though I explained ahead of time, my boss became angry when I announced my departure. Instead of calmly re-explaining, I reacted in anger and raised my voice at him. I didn’t take time to check my attitude and respond appropriately.

When we get bogged down, we often react negatively. It’s self-centeredness in which we are more concerned about ourselves and what we have to get done, than caring for those around us. You can see that for a busy person a lazy attitude is a definite threat, and instead of being selfless, we choose to be selfish.

Lazy attitudes also mix up our focus. As busyness pulls us in different directions, chances are we will not be able to concentrate on the task at hand because we’re too busy thinking about the next one! Not only will we probably do a poor job on our current task, but it may also affect our daily walk with God. Our intentions might be to read a devotion and pray, but a lazy attitude won’t rope in wandering thoughts of that day’s agenda and we will lose our focus on God and His plan for our day.

What can we do to change a lazy attitude? Focus on God and the things He is doing in our lives. Instead of freaking out because of too much to do, commit it all to God first. Ask for strength to do His will and for self-control when tempted to tune others out or react in a harsh manner. Trust Him to work out the details, and then you can concentrate on keeping your attitude hard-working.


Prayer:

Heavenly Father, I know that sometimes I get so busy that my attitude isn’t what it should be. Please grant me the mindfulness to know when I need to change my attitude and refocus. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

30 Days to Taming Your Stress by Deborah Smith Pegues


Wise Up! by Rebecca Ingram Powell


Think About It:

What are the situations when I normally have a lazy attitude?

Who is someone that I think has a hard-working attitude? How can learn from that person?


Live It:

Generally, your friends and family realize when you have a lazy attitude, even if you don’t. Ask someone you see everyday to hold you accountable by making you aware of when you have a self-centered and lazy attitude. Then ask them to give you specific examples of how you can change the way you approach people or situations.

Power Verses:


Matthew 6:6, "‘Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.‘” (The Message)

Colossians 3:23-24, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” (NIV)



© 2009 by Katie Rath. All rights reserved.


+

Tell Us About It:

How do you keep your attitude from becoming lazy?

Labels: , , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits