"Compassion"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Yvonne Mendoza


Ephesians 6:18, “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.” (NIV)


When I transitioned into my new college life I prayed to God for a variety of things. Specifically, I wanted a burning passion for Him, to listen to the Holy Spirit carefully, and to feel and see God in all people and in all circumstances.


One Saturday night in my dorm room, I decided to see what was new on the Proverbs 31 Ministries’ home page. I came across a video of a visit to Ecuador some of their speakers and staff took with Compassion International (click here to watch). I pushed play, not ready for what I was going to encounter. Within seconds my heart crumbled. I cried tear after tear and was surprised I had all those tears in me.


There was one young boy in particular who held my attention. His eyes were closed tightly and his hands clasped as if he were right in the presence of God. I paused the video and just looked at him. His prayer looked pleading, as if in desperate need. And he looked like he was passionately in love with God. He left me speechless.


I sat in my room looking around in awe. I yearn to love God with a passion that my heart cannot contain and here’s this little boy with that passion. I finished the video and knew I didn’t stumble across it for nothing. I had prayed to see God in all things and He clearly showed me His answer through this video.

What to do now? I went to the Compassion International web site and read their information on how to help children like this little boy. There were thousands of precious faces from different parts of the world, all with needs. Unfortunately I couldn’t donate money monthly. I felt devastated. I wanted to do more than what I was financially able. I looked at their faces and profiles and then it hit me. I can’t donate money, I can’t visit them, and I can’t tell them it’s going to be okay…but I can pray.


I have the ability to pray for them, their country, brothers and sisters, parents and their jobs, the development facilities that care for them, their health and that they find and seek God for the rest of their lives. So I began. I clicked on each individual profile, read the name and prayed.

As young women we have the ability to do more than we can imagine through God. He is everlasting and knows the lives and hearts of these children. They might not be able to hear me, but I pray anyways. I know they need prayers just as much as they need support.


So do you care to join me? I still have about a 1000 more profiles to pray for! Help me pray for these souls. We have the ability to help them in this way. God will be honored, they will be blessed, and we will be changed.


Prayer:


Dear God, we sometimes forget the power of prayer. Let us come to understand that as the Creator of the world, Your hands and eyes are on the needy. Allow us as Your daughters to care for those who are less fortunate. Thank You for the many blessings You shower upon us. Allow our hearts to be thankful even in the midst of hard times. We love You Lord. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


Related Resources:






Think About It:


Why is it important to be in prayer for others?

How else do you help society and God’s children in need?


Live It:


Gather a group of friends and start a prayer group. Pray for each other and those who need God in their lives.

Power Verses:


Proverbs 19:17, “He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord and he will reward him for what he has done.” (NIV)


James 5:16, “…The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” (NIV)


© 2009 by Yvonne Mendoza. All rights reserved.
Photo courtesy of Flickr.

+

Tell Us About It:


Do you have a prayer group? Who’s in it? How was it formed? What do you pray about?

Labels: , ,



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this powerful post. I have written down your list of things to pray for these children and am determined to join you in your quest to pray for each one! Thank you for reminding me I can give prayers even if I can't give money!
Rachelle

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachelle it's Yvonne

I'm glad you liked the post:) And I'm super excited that you have joined me in prayer! Thank you for supporting innocent kids and allowing God to use you in this powerful way!!

Blessings,
Yvonne

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits