"Curtis"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Kristen Sigmon


Matthew 25:40, “I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” (NIV)


“Please help. Looking for work. God bless you,” his sign read, which he stood by the road holding.

He was not just some man or hopeless bum. His name was Curtis. When I drove by him that day, God nudged me to do something. But I reasoned with Him, What can I possibly do? I don’t just want to hand him money.

I continued driving. God would not let Curtis leave my mind, though. Okay Lord, if You want me to do something, show me what. Nearing home, I saw Christian, a good friend who is always helping others in need, particularly the impoverished and homeless. When I asked Christian what I should do, he gave me some good pointers: lock your doors; roll down your window just enough to ask if he’s hungry or thirsty; if so, meet him in front of the convenience store where many people are; buy him some food and a drink; and pray with him.

I was so grateful for Christian’s advice. At the same time, I was still afraid! What if something happened to me? However, trusting this was what God wanted, I drove back to Curtis.

After a run of bad luck, Curtis was trying to make his way to Georgia to get assistance. However, he didn’t have enough money to get there. He was hungry, thirsty, and thankful that I stopped to help him.

Despite fear and nervousness, I was excited. God gave me an opportunity to meet someone’s need, to quit thinking about myself for ten minutes and focus my attention on a complete stranger, who oddly enough seemed familiar.

The Bible says, “Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!” (Hebrews 13:2) I sensed God with me while I was with Curtis. Perhaps he was an angel, or perhaps he was Jesus Himself! After all, whatever we do to the “least” of our brothers and sisters, we do it to Jesus too.

Fear can paralyze us in these situations. We may fear what might happen to us or rejection. Even so, as a teacher once said, “Don’t ask God to take away your fear. Ask Him to help you be faithful and bold despite your fear.”

This doesn’t mean we intentionally put ourselves in dangerous situations. We must be wise. However, if God calls us to help someone in need, we better not ignore Him! Otherwise, as Jesus says, “…I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat…thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink…a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me…I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me” (Matthew 25:42, 45, NIV).

Who is the Curtis in your life whom God is asking you to help? Don’t miss the opportunity!
Prayer:

Jesus, Thank You for taking care of each of us, including those who are poor and in need. When You call me to help someone in need – to be Your hands and feet – please help me be faithful to You. Remind me that whatever I do to another person, I’m doing it to You also. In Jesus' name, Amen.


Related Resources:

Visit Proverbs 31’s Compassion blog, and click the link “Love in Action” for outreach/ministry ideas that you and your friends can be involved in.

Think About It:

What is my typical response when I see someone in need? Would Jesus be pleased with my response?

Who is a specific person in my life right now who is in need? How can I help him or her?

Live It:


Pray for God to make you aware of situations in which you can help others.


List the gifts and talents God has given you which you can use to help others in need. Look at the needs of those around you – at school, in your neighborhood, at church, at soccer practice or dance lessons – and find ways to begin using these things to help others.

Power Verses:

Matthew 5:16, “In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” (NLT)


Colossians 4:5, “Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.” (NIV)


© 2008-2009 by Kristen Sigmon. All rights reserved.

+


Tell Us About It:

What gifts & talents has God given you that you can use to help others?

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Blogger LeAnn said...

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits