A Good Name

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.




By: Amy J. Puccillo


Psalm 15:1-5 asks, “Who may worship in Your sanctuary Lord? Who may enter your presence on Your holy hill? Those who lead blameless lives and do what is right, speaking the truth from sincere hearts. Those who refuse to gossip or harm their neighbors or speak evil of their friends. Those who despise flagrant sinners, and honor the faithful followers of the Lord, and keep their promises even when it hurts. Those who lend money without charging interest, and who cannot be bribed to lie about the innocent. Such people will stand firm forever” (NLT).


I want to stand firm but all too often I am weak. My spirit is willing to do what is right but when it comes down to it, my sinful flesh takes over. After reading Psalm 15:1-5, I had to ask myself if I am one who is worthy to worship in the Lord’s sanctuary or enter His presence. Sadly, I realize that I am not. Do you desire to do what is right and good but also realize that there are times when you do not? Romans 3:23 says, “For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God” (NIV). That verse explains to me that we are all sinners and in need of a Savior. Romans 3:24 goes on to say, “And are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus” (NIV). When we believe in Christ Jesus as our Savior, He cancels out the guilt of our sins and credits us with righteousness.


What an amazing gift! I sure would love to be able to make a good name for myself as a representative of Christ. Proverbs 22:1 tells us, “A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold” (NIV). Nothing is worth the smearing of your good name. Quickly we realize how precious our good reputation is when the threat of losing it is at stake. Ecclesiastes 7:1 says, “A good name is better than fine perfume…” (NIV) Knowing that Jesus forgives me and cleanses me makes me want to maintain a pure heart and reputable name.


Recently I had the opportunity to meet with Lauren. She asked me what her name meant. We came to find out it meant “crowned with laurel.” After further investigation, we determined that laurel meant “foliage used as an emblem of victory, honor or distinction.” This challenged her to live a life in keeping not only the high standard of her given name but to answer to the higher calling of God’s Word in her life.


Do you know the meaning of your good name? Try looking it up and use your name meaning to motivate you to live up to Psalm 15:1-5.

© 2009 by Amy Pucillo. All rights reserved.

Share with us your name and what it means!
(To share, click on “comments” below.)

Labels: ,



7 Comments:

Anonymous Katie said...

Katie (a form of Kathryn)means "pure". :)

Anonymous Devin said...

My name (Devin) means "poet" or "divine." = P

Anonymous Kristen said...

Awesome name meanings, Katie & Devin!

Kristen means "follower of Christ" or "Christ-bearer"

Anonymous jessica said...

Jessica means 'God's grace'

Anonymous Kristen said...

That's a really cool meaning for your name, Jessica! :-)

Anonymous Mariam said...

Mariam (my name) means Wished-for child.
i'm trying to find a way to make that biblical!

Anonymous Kristen said...

Mariam, That's an awesome meaning for your name. Actually, according to behindthename.com, Mariam is another form of the names Mary and Miriam, which are both found in the Bible. :-)

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits