"Wise Choices"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Autumn Sisk

Proverbs 14:1, “A wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands, a foolish one tears hers down.” (NIV)


I remember high school like it was yesterday.

When I look back on decisions I had to make as a teen, I am thankful. I am thankful to have had great parents and church leaders to help point me in the right direction. I am more thankful than anything to have had a close relationship with Christ to keep me steady.

I also think back on decisions that some of my friends made in their teens and how it affected their lives. I guess this is why the verse above hits home for me.

Right now, you probably don’t realize it, but every decision you make effects your life and where you end up. Each decision molds you into the person you will be at the age of 18, 21, and even the ripe old age of 32 (yep, that’s me!). Your decisions now are easy compared to ones you will have to make in college, and the decisions you make in college will be easier than the ones after college. I say this because I have seen so many good kids throw away their relationship with Christ for popularity, a boy, or some other reason that ends up not being important in the long run. Girls who choose to start drinking in high school usually continue drinking in college. Many times drinking leads to use of leisure drugs at parties, which can lead to sex and STDs or pregnancy. Each time you take a step away from your boundary, it gets easier. The farther away from Christ you get, the harder it is to say “no” to temptations like boys or drinking parties. Yeah, I sound like your mom. I have news for you: YOUR MOM IS RIGHT!

I have known so many girls who turned away from their morals for partying and popularity. Many of them have had abortions and some now have STDs. Others have drinking problems even into their adult life. Things like that really effect the rest of your life, both emotionally and physically. Does that sound like fun?

A little suggestion: Find a group of friends who will keep you accountable. Pray together, do Bible studies together, and most of all, be there for each other. Help each other make good decisions based on what you know is God’s will for His children.

On your own, be sure to have a quiet time daily, asking Christ to help you make decisions that are pleasing to Him, even if they are unpopular to your peers. As my guy friend always says, “Good decisions: good consequences, Bad decisions: bad consequences.” The choice is yours.

Prayer:

Dear Lord, I need Your help to make wise decisions. I want You to be a part of every decision I make. Thank You for always being here for me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Wise Up! by Rebecca Ingram Powell

Think About It:

Do I make decisions based on popularity or peer pressure?

Have I made any bad decisions lately that have caused me to go against my values?

Live It:

Make a list of friends that will help you stay on track. Ask them this week to work with you in decision making.

Ask God to be in your decisions each day.

Power Verses:

Psalm 119:73, “Your hands made me and formed me; give me understanding, to learn Your commands.” (NIV)

Proverbs 4:6, “Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you.” (NIV)

© 2009 by Autumn Sisk. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:

Do you know someone you’d consider wise? What makes them wise?

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are a few people I consider wise, including my pastor and a mentor. What makes both of them wise is a couple things - 1. they carefully consider options before making decisions & they seek to make the best decision according to God's guidance; 2. they choose their words carefully. They don't just speak everything that's on their mind. They speak only what's good and helpful for others to hear; 3. they are patient & don't get angry easily.

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits