All I Want for Christmas

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Kristen Sigmon

Radical Revolution Coordinator



For years, I wanted a boyfriend to spend the holidays with. Mariah Carey’s song, “All I Want For Christmas is You,” was my theme song (click here to listen to it). In it, Mariah says the only thing she wants for Christmas is the man she loves. Unfortunately, listening to songs like this and watching all the Christmas movies with love stories wrapped into them only seemed to make me want what I didn’t have even more.


What I needed was a change in perspective – to realize and be thankful for the things God has given me rather than dwelling on what He hasn’t given me.


Even to this day, if I spend too much time focusing on what I don’t have (i.e. a boyfriend), I could easily fall into the same pit of loneliness and longing for that man of my dreams. I’ve learned that I must focus my attention on the Love of my life who’s already in my life – Jesus. By focusing on Him, being captivated by His love, and spending my energy loving Him and other people, I have found so much more fulfillment than I could ever find in a boyfriend.


Does that mean God doesn’t have anyone for me and that I’m forever meant to be single? Not necessarily. I believe He has someone just for me and I am waiting expectantly for that handsome, godly young man to enter my life. However, I also believe that God’s timing is perfect and for this season of my life I’m meant to be single. Maybe that’s where you are too. Some people find a significant other in middle school or high school, but many don’t. And that’s okay. Just think of how many cool things you get to be involved in because you don’t have the responsibility of being in a relationship!


When I finally quit fighting with God over the state of my love life, or the lack thereof, I found a peace, joy, and contentment I’ve not known before; I’ve come to know myself and my purpose; I can say with certainty that God’s love is better than life.


It took a while – and years of discontent – before I came to accept my state of singleness. Now, I can happily say that I not just accept that I’m single but I’ve learned to embrace it. (And honestly, I’m glad I’m single for now after hearing the challenges of marriage from my married friends!)


What do I want this Christmas? Good quality time with family and friends. To be fully content with what God has given me. A deeper, more passionate relationship with Jesus. And all the same things for you!


Father, I pray for my sisters who are single and want a boyfriend. Show them that ultimate contentment comes in a love relationship with You. I pray that they would experience all the fullness of Your love. Deepen their faith and reveal to them the beautiful plans You have for their lives now. Be their priority now and always, and if or when you choose to bring that special man into their lives, I pray that they’d be ready for each other, perfect and complete in You and lacking nothing. Thank You for the gift of singleness and thank you for the gift of a life partner. Help us be thankful and happy with whichever gift You give us! In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Labels:



3 Comments:

Thanks for the great post Kristen! I pray that we will all see this Christmas that God's love truly is better than life...even our dream boys can't top the love of our Father!

Anonymous imoomie said...

What an inspiring post! Thank you for sharing your stuggles and your victories it is an encouragment for those who are waiting just as you are...keep your eyes on your Daddy, He knows the plans He has for you.

Anonymous Kristen said...

Thanks for your comments Elizabeth and imoomie. God has great plans for all of our lives. I love the quote I heard by Jim Elliot which said, "God always gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him." If we wait on Him, He will give us His best...the best of His love and the best life partner for us.

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits