"Healed"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Yvonne Mendoza

Matthew 5:4, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” (NIV)

I was too young to understand the sadness that overwhelmed me everyday. The word sadness is an understatement because the way I felt was extremely painful and draining. I felt alone, unsafe and empty. I would fall asleep crying, wake up crying and try to contain my tears throughout the day.


According to Webster’s Dictionary, depression is “marked especially by sadness, inactivity, difficulty in thinking and concentration, a significant increase or decrease in appetite and time spent sleeping, feelings of dejection and hopelessness, and sometimes suicidal tendencies.”


From age ten to thirteen I was depressed. My parents didn’t understand because to them there was no reason to be sad. Unfortunately, there doesn't have to be a reason. Teachers would call my parents for answers and my family spent hours praying for a change in my life. My weight decreased and my faith vanished. I remember one night, while trying to fall asleep, I sat up and told God I couldn't take this agony. It had been years since I experienced happiness and I blamed God for my misery. I told Him, “I want nothing to do with You. I hate You!” Throughout those years, I avoided conversations with God and relied on myself to get better.


It has been almost ten years since those dreadful nights. I look back and I am saddened to know that depressed young girl was me but grateful to know that today that’s no longer me. My parents didn’t want me on antidepressants and believed God would heal me. If it wasn’t for their earnest prayers and faith in God I would be worse off.


Depression changed my view of life and I am thankful for it. Because of depression I now long for God daily because I know what life is without Him. I understand the misery and what sin does emotionally and physically when I stand alone.


When I found myself getting better I had no choice but to thank God because it was a testimony to His healing.


Sorrow breaks us apart in ways that we never could imagine. God gave us the choice to either try to handle life on our own or let Him handle our life. I know I stand firm because of Him. When I am in pain, I am comforted to know it won’t be for long because of Him. I am thankful for my past because of Him and excited about my future because of Him.


Life is hard...alone. The beauty of being a Christian is we never have to do life on our own. We have God and others to support us.


You were built for more than pain and sorrow. God desires peace and joy for your life. When you find yourself sinking into a depressed state, seek Him through prayer, be honest with Him, and you will find Him. Believe me when I say He will rescue you and radically transform you and your faith forever!


Prayer:


Dear God, when life gets us down I ask that we feel Your presence at that very moment. Allow us to understand that we cannot do this alone. We pray for peace and true fulfillment through You. Allow us to put all our faith in You. Thank You for Your patience and love. Transform us and heal us by Your power. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


Related Resources:


Life Style: Radical Perspectives from Radical Women in the Bible by Whitney Prosperi


Bridge Called Hope: Stories of Triumph from the Ranch of Rescued Dreams by Kim Meeder


Think About It:


When sadness overwhelms you, who do you turn to?


What are some activities that bring you joy and happiness?


Live It:


Create a group of friends that will be there to pray for each other and help each other get back on track when you start feeling down.


If you are experiencing multiple symptoms of depression as mentioned above, please share this with a trusted adult and get the help of a health care professional or counselor.


Power Verses:


Isaiah 55:8, “’For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the Lord.” (NIV)


Psalm 86:15, “But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God…abounding in love and faithfulness.” (NIV)



© 2009 by Yvonne Mendoza. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:

What is something that helps pick you up when you’re down?

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits