"Use Me, Lord"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.




By: Autumn Sisk


Luke 1:38, “‘I am the Lord’s servant,’ Mary answered. ‘May it be to me as you have said.’” (NIV)



Mary certainly thought of herself as an average Jewish girl. Her reaction to the visit from the Angel of the Lord is evidence of this in Luke chapter one. The Bible says she was troubled by the words the Angel used in meeting her when he said “Greetings you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” (NIV) I’m sure she thought it was a dream. She must have thought to herself, “Why would God find favor with me? I’m only a poor teenager from a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, and I’m not beautiful or even well- educated.” She may have even asked the angel if he had the right Mary (it was a very common name in that day!).



I believe that is the same way most teen girls would react if God sent His angel proclaiming that they were highly favored and God had big plans for them. We see, though, from today’s key verse that Mary may have been caught by surprise, but she eagerly accepted with gratitude God’s assignment for her. She knew it would be a rough road. Her reputation would be tarnished when her family and neighbors found out she was pregnant before she was married. She knew that convincing Joseph that she had not been unfaithful to him would be tough, as well. However, God took care of all the details for her.



Mary knew it would not be easy for her or her fiancée. But above all, Mary wanted to do God’s will and accepted whatever He asked her to do for Him. She saw it as an honor to do God’s work.



We all know that Mary had a very hard life, but God used her to bring about the greatest gift mankind has ever known, Jesus. God needs more people working for Him like Mary.



She decided in her heart that no matter how difficult the task, she would work for God with all of her strength. She also realized that if He asked her to do something for Him, that He would see her through it. You and I may not be given a task as tough as giving birth to the Messiah but it is certain that God has big plans for all of His children. We just have to be willing to accept His calling for our lives.



God may call you to do something that requires stepping outside of your comfort zone. It may require that you move to a foreign country to do mission work. God could call you do start a Bible study in your own neighborhood with friends who don’t know Him or care to know Him. It could be anything as we see from the story in Luke chapter one. We just have to be willing to hear God’s voice and keep our hearts open to His will. That is what Mary did. That is what I want to do, and I can’t wait to see the amazing things God is going to do through me! Are you willing to do the same?



Prayer:



Dear Heavenly Father, thank You so much for Your servant Mary. I want to be like her in spirit and obedience to your call. I ask that you make me attentive to Your plans for my life and give me the strength to follow Your ways. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.



Related Resources:



Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations by Alex & Bret Harris



Think About It:



Have you ever heard God ask you to do something for Him?



What was your reaction to the call of God?



Live It:



Begin to pray and ask God to open your eyes and heart to His plans for your life.


Ask God to give you a great desire to serve Him no matter the cost.



Power Verses:



Colossians 3:17, “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.” (NIV)



Isaiah 41:9-10, “…You are my servant; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (NIV)





© 2009 by Autumn Sisk. All rights reserved.


+



Tell Us About It:


If you could do something big to make a difference in the world, what would it be?

Labels: , , , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits