"Confessions of a Former Mean Girl"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.




By: Angela Parsley

Ecclesiastes 3:11, “He has made everything beautiful in its time…” (NIV)

“We’ve come a long way, God,” is all I could think as I watched the home video of my fifteenth birthday. I could not believe my horrendous attitude. I thought I had arrived at perfection and the world revolved around me. I am not opposed to birthday party fun or a birthday girl being treated like a queen. However, I definitely crossed a line on my birthday. I can’t believe such a girl existed. I was so obnoxious. A better description is self-centered. It amazed me I had friends at that party, and not just one but several who all seemed to enjoy my company, adding fuel to my destructive fire.


That girl on the video sure looked like me, but who was she? Where did she come from and more importantly, who did she think she was?


What really got me was all the hard work my mother put into making my special birthday cake. When the time came to sing and blow out the candles, I wanted no part of it. In fact, I blew out the candles before she was finished singing and walked out of the room. I pierced my mother’s heart.


This moment brought back so many memories of my past. I was definitely a mean girl. The only thing I cared about was me. I had relationships that benefited me. I was very shallow. I hate admitting that now.


I always knew I gave my parents a hard time growing up. I was a wayward child of sorts but I did not realize the extent of it until that defining moment. I was caught on tape, no denying it anymore. It reminded me of Jeremiah 17:9: “The heart is deceitful above all things … who can understand it?” (NIV) I suppose God had protected me from that harsh memory until now because only now could I handle it.


God grabbed a hold of me a while back when I was finally serious about dying to myself and giving Him full access to clean up my heart. I went through a time where He slowly showed me the ugly things that did indeed reside in my heart.


Over that period, God slowly removed them one by one. It was a hard process but it was well worth it because in the end came true freedom. There are still things to clean up, but God reminds me of this verse, “So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image” (2 Corinthians 3:18, NLT).


God works in us little by little to change us into His glorious image so we will glow for Him. That is all I want in life. It is nice to see the transformation in me since my fifteenth birthday. God definitely will not allow us to remain the same because He wants us all to reflect His glory!


Prayer:


Lord, thank You for loving me enough to not allow me to stay the same. Thank You for the privilege of being made more and more into Your image. Lord, continue to mold me and make me more like You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


Related Resources:


Wise Up! by Rebecca Ingram Powell


Think About It:


What steps are you taking to reflect more of God?


Is there anything that God needs to work out of you?


Live It:


Ask God what is in your heart. Journal anything He brings to mind.


Make an effort this week to compliment one person a day.


Power Verses:


Jeremiah 17:9-10, “The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? ‘I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve.’” (NIV)


Psalm 139:23-24, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (NIV)


© 2010 by Angela Parsley. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:

What do you think about this statement:
God loves you enough not to let you stay the same?

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits