"Dry Times"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Kristen Sigmon


Psalm 63:1, “O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for You, my body longs for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.” (NIV)


Ever felt far from God? Like your prayers were only hitting the ceiling? Like God wouldn’t listen anyway? I have. My spiritual life was “dry.” It was hard to pray. I didn’t intentionally push God away but just didn’t “feel like” praying so therefore I usually didn’t. On top of that, I felt guilty for not praying “the right way” or often enough. I was miserable.


Have you ever heard the statement, “If God seems far away, who moved?” Sometimes, He seems far away because He wants us to learn to depend on Him and not the feeling of Him being close to us. Usually, though, when God seems far away it’s because we have moved away from Him, either because of guilt or fear of punishment for doing something He wouldn’t want us to do, or possibly anger and disillusionment about how God could let something bad happen or why He didn’t answer our prayer. After all, it’s difficult to feel close to God when we don’t feel we can trust Him or when we believe He doesn’t have our best interests at heart.


So how do you get rid of spiritual “dryness” and get close to God again? A good place to begin is removing any barrier that stands between you and Him. Easier said than done, I know. What did it take for me? Sharing my struggle with others and asking them to pray for me; being real with God, admitting I didn’t feel like praying but I wanted a close relationship with Him again; asking God for His help; and listening for what God wanted to say to me. He spoke to me through others, music, the Bible, and nature. What did He say? Kristen, I love you. I’ve missed you. I’m so glad you want to be with me again. I want to be with you too! You are so precious to me. Let me show you how much. I will satisfy You. I raised Christ from the dead and I’m ready to show you my power in your life too.


That’s His message to you too. Wait it out. Things will get better. Continue to talk to Him even when it seems like He’s not listening or responding. David, in his “dry and weary land,” chose to praise God:


“Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you! I will praise you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer. You satisfy me more than the richest feast. I will praise you with songs of joy.” (Psalm 63:3-5, NLT)


On the other side, I can say with certainty God is faithful to His promises. He loves us so much that He won’t leave us alone and in despair in the “desert.” He can’t. It goes against His nature and His heart. If you’re in a desert right now, look for God. I promise you, He is there.


Prayer:
Dear God, I can’t stand it when it feels like You’re far away from me. I’m searching for You. Please reveal Yourself to me in a very real way. Thank You that You are a God who I can trust and who does have my best interests at heart. Help me trust You more. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


Resources:
Teen Devotional Bible


Totally God’s for Life: A Devotional by Megan Clinton


Think About It:
Are you in a “dry” time right now spiritually?


What’s one way you can connect with God even though you may not feel Him with you?


Live It:
Tell God how you really feel. Write it down, shout it, cry out to Him, or make a piece of art that expresses your feelings.


Listen to Christian music for a while. Ask God to speak to you through it.


Power Verses:
James 4:8, “Come close to God, and God will come close to you.” (NLT)


Psalm 68:9, “You sent abundant rain, O God, to refresh the weary land.” (NLT)


© 2010 by Kristen Sigmon. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:

How have you seen God come through for you in a “desert” in your life?

Labels: ,



4 Comments:

Anonymous McKenna said...

This article fits my life soo well right now. Thank you so much.

Anonymous Kristen said...

Hi McKenna, You're very welcome. :) Praying that God shows Himself to you in a new way...be looking for Him!

Here's a word of encouragement for you McKenna:
"I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD ... Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD." (Psalm 27:13-14)

Anonymous Rachelle said...

This goes right along with what my pastor was preaching about yesterday morning. He made the point that everyone learns and grows close to God in different ways. For some it might be Sunday School or taking a walk or reading a book or listening to music! In fact, I have friends who grow in each of those ways and well, I am still figuring out what exactly is my unique fit. However, I am excited to see how God touches me and teaches me every day. Like David who couldn't wear Saul's armor but instead used five smooth stones, I have my own style of growth.

Anonymous Kristen said...

Hi Rachelle, You're totally right. Each of us connects with God in different ways and for many of us it happens in more than one way. :)

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits