"A Shopping List"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Elizabeth Rollins

Jeremiah 18:6, "'Can I not, O house of Israel, deal with you as this potter does?' declares the LORD. 'Behold, like the clay in the potter's hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel.'" (NASB)

"Do you want anything?" Momma asked as she exited the car in the sSupermarket parking lot. I had elected to stay in the car and finish one of my reading assignments for English Lit.

"No thanks," I replied, and then a thought drew a smirk on my face. "Well...you could pick up a grad schoolcollege on aisle 6. It's the one on the bottom in the blue box marked "M.F.A. degree and great Graduate Teaching AssistantshipB.A. degree and great Teaching Assistantship" in the upper right hand corner. And while you're there, you can grab a handsome blond on aisle 9. The one who's just tall enough, with a nice nose, sparkling gray eyes, surfer hair, a heart for Jesus, and an appreciation for a redheaded wife."

Momma giggled and said, "Sure, honey. Right after I get the milk."

As she shut the car door and walked through the automatic doors of the Ssupermarket, I realized what I was asking. I wanted everything to work my way in a quick, convenient, get-it-all-in-one-stop-so-you-can-get-on-with-life manner of thinking. But the Lord reminded me of reality and His truth.

I'm not just another Barbie Doll on the shelf, God designed me specifically and uniquely to fit the tasks for which He has chosen to use me. My life is not a box of Rice-a-roni from aisle 4 of life's supermarket. God wants to do more detailed things with my life than just adding water and simmering me over a low heat for 35 minutes. God uses me as He would a slab of clay, kneading, flattening, molding me into a unique piece of pottery from His wise hands.

If you have ever molded clay yourself, you know that the clay must go through great pains in order to be fashioned into a masterpiece. The clay must be scoured and drenched with water at the seams for it to bond together into a form. Then it must undergo immense heat, then be covered with glaze only to go deep into the furnace again, before it is complete. In Jeremiah 18, the Lord summons Jeremiah to go down to the potter's house. While watching the potter meticulously form the clay with his hands, the Lord tells Jeremiah, "Behold, like the clay in the potter's hand, so are you in my hand" (Jeremiah 18:6, NASB). And in Isaiah, the Word reminds us of the same parallel: "But now, O Lord, You are our Father, We are the clay, and You our potter; And all of us are the work of Your hand" (Isaiah 64:8, NASB).


While we are here on Earth, our Magnificent Potter is constantly molding us so that we may one day shine in glory with Him for all eternity. Take heart! The Lord has wonderful plans for you, specific and unique, for which He has shaped and will shape your life. No need to grab something quick and easy from life's supermarket. Trust the Lord to know exactly the "what," "when," "where," and "how" of your life. (We already know the why: if we are truly trusting the Lord, He works everything about for our good and His glory. Everything!)

In Jeremiah 18, the Lord summons Jeremiah to go down to the potter's house. While watching the potter meticulously form the clay with his hands, the Lord tells Jeremiah, "Behold, like the clay in the potter's hand, so are you in my hand" (Jeremiah 18:6, NASB). And in Isaiah, the Word reminds us of the same parallel: "But now, O Lord, Thou art our Father, We are the clay, and Thou our potter; And all of us are the work of Thy hand" (Isaiah 64:8, NASB).

Prayer:

Praise You, Lord for molding us into Your perfect design! Have Your way in, with, and through us! To You be all the glory! In Jesus' Name, Amen!

Resources:

For Such a Time as This by Lisa Ryan

Shaped with Purpose CD and Workbook by Renee Swope

Think About It:

Are my expectations limiting God's marvelous plan for my life?

What are those expectations and how can I let go of them? How can I let God mold me today?

Live It:

Make a list of at least 5 of your own expectations for life. Then, spend time in prayer, releasing these expectations into the Lord's hands.

Power Verses:

Jeremiah 1:5, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew and approved of you [as My chosen instrument], and before you were born I separated and set you apart, consecrating you; [and] I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." (Amplified)

Ephesians 2:10, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, so that we would walk in them." (NASB)

© 2010 by Elizabeth Rollins. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:

What’s one expectation you have for your life that you can release to God?

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits