"Strength in Waiting"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Autumn Sisk

Psalm 27:14, “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” (NIV)

Like most people, I don’t like to wait. At restaurants, I like to be seated and served quickly. At the store, I don’t like standing in line for an hour waiting to check out. I get enraged if the internet is slow on my computer. Impatience. Maybe that is why it is often tough to wait on God to answer our prayers. Sometimes I think God should be like the ATM. I pull up, place my order and within minutes I have what I requested. Of course, God doesn’t work like that, and there are many reasons for this.


For one, God knows what I need much better than I do. He knows there are things I desperately want that just aren’t good for me. In college, I was in love with a certain boy. Every day I prayed God would change this boy’s heart and make him love me in return. I must have asked God to do this a thousand times, but He never allowed it to happen. Yes, it hurt a lot, but I eventually got over it, saw God had better things in store, and moved on. I had to wait what seemed like ages for God to send my husband, but He taught me that waiting is worth it and often is necessary to get the best.


Another reason God lets us wait is to help strengthen our faith and trust in Him. In waiting for the things we hope for, we must put our faith in God or we’ll go crazy. God made Israel wait over 400 years for the Messiah to appear after His last message to the prophets. They must have thought God had forgotten about them. Those who wait in hope for God always find their faith is strengthened along the way.


We also have to wait for answers to prayers because we often ask God for things for purely selfish reasons. Our motives are not approved of by God. In these cases, God says “no” to our requests no matter how many times we ask or reason with Him. God hopes we will eventually see our folly and begin praying for His will to be done. I had to do this when I was begging God to make the boy fall in love with me; I wasn’t concerned with God’s will, only mine.


I don’t know about you, but I feel like I am constantly waiting for an answer from God on something. Even as I write this, I am in prayer and discussion with God over something that, for several years now, I have been asking and believing Him for. I am continuing to believe that He has something great ahead for me, but it certainly won’t come about as I plan, only as He desires. It will happen at the right place and time. The key is for me to “wait … be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Will you be strong in waiting for your answers with me?


Prayer:


Dear Lord, today I need strength and patience as I wait for Your will to be done in my life. I know You have wonderful plans ahead but sometimes I become discouraged. Please place Your hope inside my heart. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


Related Resources:


What to Do in the W.A.I.T.: Finding Contentment in God’s Pauses and Plans by Wendy Pope


Think About It:


Is there something I‘m waiting for?


Have I lost faith because my prayers have not been answered the way I want?


Live It:


Today, begin to pray for strength to wait on God.


Ask God to show you if your prayers are only selfishly motivated.


Power Verses:


James 4:3, “When you ask, you do not receive because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.” (NIV)


Mark 14:36, “‘Abba Father,’ He said, ‘everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what You will.’ ” (NIV)


© 2010 by Autumn Sisk. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:


What’s one advantage you can see to waiting on God?

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits