"All That I Have"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



Proverbs 31 Speaker

Luke 5:3, “He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat.” (NIV)

I was uncomfortable. I was young and these were grown successful adults! My church had asked me lead a small group. Really? Some of these people were in their forties! What did I have to offer them? I felt like I was just a warm body needed to fill a need. I didn’t think I was actually “called” or anything like that. I was simply available.


The Lord used my “yes” early in life to teach me many things. To give what I had no matter how humble it was. To give what I had even if I felt my “gift” or even I myself was inadequate. To give what I had even if I thought it wouldn’t make a difference.


Talking to scores of people near a lake shore, the crowd was getting so heavy it was literally pushing Jesus into the water. Thinking quickly, Jesus hopped into the nearest fishing boat and asked the owner to push away from shore a bit. Here he began His message to the crowd. Was Simon thinking, “I’ve been up all night fishing. I am really ready to call it a day. I can’t believe He is using my boat without asking!” or was he thinking, “What an amazing opportunity! I have heard of this Jesus and now here He is in my very own boat teaching! What a great day!”? We don’t really know; the Bible doesn’t say. We do know later that day Simon gave up his livelihood of fishing for slimy, stinking, cold-blooded, aquatic vertebrates to fish for the souls of men. During that day, something transpired in his heart. Could it have something to do with what he gave?


Giving to the Lord can be a gateway to new things; new blessings in our lives. It may be giving some of our free time to spend time with Him by reading the Bible and praying. It may be giving money to see more of His kingdom work done. It may be giving up something – our comfort, our rights, our desires. Like Simon, when we choose to give up – to give what we have to the Messiah – we are transformed. Our lives are never the same.


Is there something in your life God has been showing you He would like to use? What is your “fishing boat”? Could it be that He not only wants to transform but bless you, as well?


When Jesus was done speaking, He said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch” (Luke 5:4). Simon informed Him – like He didn’t know it – they had already worked all night and caught nothing. Then he added, “but because you say so, I will let down the nets.” Simon was struggling with doubt; yet he didn’t allow it to hold him back from obeying. The result: nets so full of fish they began to break!


What is Jesus asking of you? Will you let Him “use your boat”?


Prayer:

Dear Lord, Sometimes I think that what I have is really small and won’t make much of a difference. Other times, I just don’t want to give what I have. Either way, Jesus, I want to give You all that I have. Please make me willing and then give me the courage I need to follow through. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


Related Resources:

Visit
Lynn’s blog – He is That Into You


For Such a Time as This by Lisa Ryan


Think About It:

Am I giving the Holy Spirit permission in my life to stretch me and use me on a daily basis? If not, what is holding me back? Could this possibly be an area of disobedience to the Lord?


Live It:

Is there an area in your life where you have sensed God asking you to “step up” but fear has held you back? Ask Him to give you the strength to take that next step in being used by Him.


Does your church have an area of ministry in which they need assistance that possibly, with the Lord’s strength, you could offer help? Make that call today and just see what the Lord will do!


Power Verses:

Philippians 4:13, “I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.” (NIV)


© 2010 by Lynn Cowell. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:
Is there an area in your life where you have sensed God asking you to step up? Tell us about it!

Labels: , ,



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God asked me to "step up" and campaign for the victims of last months earthquake in Haiti and I did here:
rosesreadathon@blogspot.com

Anonymous Katie said...

God has asked me to step up and talk to this guy I know who's family situation and well, just life situation is not great. So, I've been having him over so he can see what a really family like and also all boys like food! :) haha :)

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits