"Going Along with the Crowd"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Autumn Sisk


Proverbs 1:8-10, 15-16, “Listen my [daughter], to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. They will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck. My [daughter], if sinners entice you, do not give in to them … Do not go along with them, do not set foot on their paths; for their feet rush into sin, they are swift to shed blood.” (NIV)


I once heard someone say his mom’s advice was, “Always choose the hard right over the easy wrong.” I think that is a great motto. In high school, there were times when I knew the right thing to do, but it would be so much easier to do the wrong thing. For example, one Friday night when I was in 10th grade, I was invited by some friends to a party. We had all just turned 16, so most of my friends were driving. I knew all I had to do was ask my parents if I could go out with some friends that night and they would let me. Why wouldn’t they? I had never done anything to make them distrust me!

Some of the kids who were hosting the party had bad reputations, but all of the cool kids were going to be there, not to mention the cutest boys in school! I suspected there would be drinking at this party and possibly other things that could get me into trouble. My friends thought I was crazy when I said “no thanks” to the party. Instead, I spent my Friday night hanging out at the tennis court with my family. Some may say I was a big loser, and I felt like a loser when I had to listen to my friends give me trouble about it all week leading up to that night. Don’t get me wrong, part of me really wanted to go to the party, but the other part of me knew I did not need to be there.


On Monday, when I got to school, I found out the police had raided the party and many people had received under age drinking citations. I was so glad I had not gone. My friends who went to the party wished they had just stuck with me that night too. Their parents found out and lots of them got in pretty bad trouble even if they weren’t drinking. Just being there made parents upset.

My parents never found out about the party because I was wise enough to stay away. I’m so glad. If I had gone to the party, they sure would have found out about it! Many of my friends learned a lesson that night. They realized that hanging with the cool kids is not worth the trouble it can cause you. They also learned that lowering your values and morals doesn’t necessarily make you more popular or cool either. It just makes you like everybody else.

Don’t be afraid to take a stand for what you believe. If you want to truly stand out as an individual, that is the way to do it. During my lifetime, I have NEVER regretted doing the right thing. It may be more difficult, but in the end, it makes you a person of great character. Try to remember this the next time you are faced with a decision that tempts you to go against your values.

Prayer:
Lord, please give me the wisdom to make good decisions. Sometimes it is difficult to do the right thing, so I need You to strengthen me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Resources:
For Such a Time as This by Lisa Ryan

Think About It:
Think of a time you have gone against your values to try and fit in.
Do you regret that decision? Why or why not?

Live It:
Make a point of saying “no” anytime you are invited to a party that you know will have inappropriate behavior (drinking, making out, etc.).

Try to surround yourself with friends who have the same values and beliefs as you. When any of you are tempted to go along with the wrong crowd, encourage each other and hold each other accountable. That is what friends are for!

Power Verses:
Proverbs 13:20, “He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.” (NIV)

1 Corinthians 15:33, “Do not be misled: ‘Bad company corrupts good character.’” (NIV)

© 2010 by Autumn Sisk. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:
What’s the hardest thing about standing up for what you believe in?

Labels: , , ,



3 Comments:

Blogger LadyDy said...

to stand....and perhaps stand alone....feeling alone....but knowing God is with you....so never alone.
It's hard.

dy

would love to win!

Blogger stephanie said...

I saw this giveaway and a young girl from my church would benefit from this book like you wouldn't believe. Her and I have had so many conversations about standing up and being not so popular for that decision. She would love this book so I am entering in the hopes of winning for her... Her name is Julie she is a jr. this year at the public school and has been doing a great job standing up for her faith and her beliefs but she struggles daily....

OpenID xobrowneyedgal said...

I enjoy reading Living with a Purpose daily, and would LOVE to do a blog post sometime. I am 15 years old and i am passionately in love with my Savior. Thank you P31 ministries for doing this blog, i enjoy the daily posts and give aways. Hope i win!

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits