"My Loose Tongue"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Autumn Sisk


James 3:9-10, “With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God‘s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.” (NIV)

I caught myself just this week doing something that I hate. It is something that I know is wrong, and yet I struggle with it continuously. I got dragged into a conversation with a girlfriend that turned into a bash fest. I’m sure you know what I mean. You start talking and the next thing you know you are pointing out every single flaw in everybody that comes to mind. I started out just innocently (I thought) listening to a friend vent about her frustrations with work. After a bit, I jumped in and we were off to the races.

The Holy Spirit quickly convicted me and I tried to change the subject. Unfortunately, the damage was already done. Instead of being what I should be, as a Christian, I was just like everybody else in the world.

What the Holy Spirit shows me in times like this reminds me that I have no right to pick apart the weaknesses or shortcomings of others. I am not perfect, nor will I ever be while living here on earth. Therefore, I have no business acting as if I’m any better than any other person. My only hope is the grace given to me by God. If God’s children do not stand up for others, and stand out as different from the world, then we will never accomplish God’s will: sharing His love and grace to a lost world.

The Lord does not sit around looking for the faults in others. He is well aware of our faults, but He sees the good in us over the bad. This is how His followers should be. When Jesus encountered the woman caught in adultery (John 8), He did not glare at her and say “I can’t believe how bad you are!” He didn’t go home and tell the disciples about the terrible whore He had met that day. Instead, He looked at her and said, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you? ... Then neither do I condemn you. Go now and leave your life of sin“ (John 8:10-11). Jesus encouraged those who were struggling with sin. That is what His children should do too. The world is already negative enough without Christians adding to it. I am making a point to watch what I say about others. I want to praise God with my mouth. Maybe it will catch on and others will see God’s love in me.

Let’s all work together to keep our words in check.

Prayer:

Dear Lord, I am sorry for talking badly about others. Help me to only speak good things about others. When I struggle, remind me that I am not perfect and have no right to judge others. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Related Resources:


Think About It:

Do your friends make a habit of talking about other people?

Do you feel guilty when you talk about other people? If so, what do you think God wants to teach you?

Live It:

Determine to walk away when others begin talking negatively about friends or acquaintances.


Ask the Holy Spirit to convict you when you fall into the gossip trap.

Power Verses:

Matthew 7:1-2, “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.’” (NIV)

Mark 12:31, “… Love your neighbor as yourself …” (NIV)

© 2010 by Autumn Sisk. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:

What do you think about the key verse for today – James 3:9-10?


Labels: , , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits