"The Storm"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Autumn Sisk

Matthew 8:23-27, “Then He got into the boat and his disciples followed Him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke Him saying, ‘Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!’ He replied, ‘You of little faith, why are you so afraid?’ Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, ‘What kind of man is this? Even the winds and waves obey Him!’ (NIV)


I have two distinct reactions when I read this passage from the Bible. At first, it always reminds me of how all-powerful Jesus is. My second reaction is sort of a gut-check because I see myself in the actions of the disciples. Their reaction to the storm is very similar to my behavior when a storm arises in my life. Instead of knowing and having perfect faith that my Savior has it all under control, I immediately run to Him shouting, “Lord save me, I’m going to drown!”


Jesus’ reaction to His disciples’ lack of faith makes me sad. It makes me feel like I too disappoint my Lord when my behavior reflects a lack of faith in Him. Much like Jesus’ disciples, who by this point in their ministry had seen multiple miracles performed, I have seen God work in my life over and over again. He has never let me down and no matter how bad I think things are, He always takes my hand and walks me through it. I want to become someone who doesn’t overreact and panic at the first sign of trouble. I want to have a steady heart and eyes that are focused on Jesus. He is in control even when I feel like the approaching storm is too strong for me to overcome. Nothing pleases Him more than a follower who doesn’t question His ability to calm the storms.


I also notice from this passage, that Jesus was actually asleep when the storm came upon their boat. To me that says that He wasn’t the least bit worried about His or the disciples’ safety. The reason He wasn’t worried: He knew He was in control. He knows that we will have storms in our lives. He knows that if we will stick with Him through our troubles, He will bring us through it even stronger and better off than ever.


Today, I am going to ask Jesus to strengthen my faith in Him. I don’t want to spend my time on earth worrying about things that are already taken care of. If this is something you struggle with, you should do the same and ask for His help.


Prayer:


Dear All-Powerful Lord, I tend to panic about the storms in life. Please teach me to walk in faith knowing You have ordered my steps and will always be in control and I can trust You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


Related Resources:

Rain on Me: Devotions of Hope and Encouragement for Difficult Times by Holley Gerth


Think About It:

When has something gone wrong in your life?


What was your reaction to the approaching storm? Was it a faithful reaction? Did you go to the Lord for help?


Live It:

Each time you see a storm arising in your life, stop and ask God to strengthen you and give you the faith to withstand it.


Make a point of encouraging your friends and family to do the same when they face storms in life too.


Power Verses:

Matthew 6:27, “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” (NIV)


Romans 8:28, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” (NIV)


© 2010 by Autumn Sisk. All rights reserved.

+

Tell Us About It:

How do you tend to react when a storm arises in your life?

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits