"The Girl Called Loser..."

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Lysa TerKeurst
President of Proverbs 31 Ministries


“The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18 (NIV)


The year was 1982. I was in the 7th grade.


With frizzy brown hair, bucked teeth, and a knock off brand Izod I walked down the pea green hallway of Raa Middle School. It was the day after student council elections.


The day after my classmates confirmed what I'd so desperately feared. If you didn't have beauty, boobs, and boyfriends no one would vote for you.


I shuffled toward my locker wishing I was invisible. I kept my eyes down while I willed my feet to just keep walking. Finally, my locker was in site. That glorious metal box was my one space in this world of catty girls with cute outfits and spiral permed hair. The space where I could hide my face, let the tears slip, and pretend to be busy shuffling books.


But instead of finding respite in that tiny metal space, I found one of my election posters plastered to the front with the word, "loser" scrawled across it. How do you quickly hide a poster sized proclamation by the world that you aren't good enough, cool enough, pretty enough, or accepted enough?


Books dropping, girls laughing, tape ripping, poster board crunching were sounds throbbing in my ears as the poster board resisted my attempts to ball it up small enough to fit into the mouth of the hallway trashcan.


"Please fit, please fit, please fit! Oh God please help this stupid poster from this stupid election with my stupid face on it disappear into this stupid trashcan!"


**Come back tomorrow for PART II of the story.


© 2010 by Lysa TerKeurst. All rights reserved.


Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Blogger Haley said...

WOW! I bet that had to been hard having someone put a poster in your locker saying "Loser"! I know I would shed some tears!!

These devotions are really inspiring! Thank you for sharing them with us!

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits