The Voice in My Head

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Kristen Sigmon


I was meeting with a friend the other day, and the more we talked, the worse I felt about myself. I withdrew and became quiet. For everything he said, I heard something else inside my head. My friend was challenging me and just speaking the truth in love, but his words really hurt.


In my head, what I heard was, "Kristen, why are you even trying? Why don't you just quit now? You don't have anything good to offer. And by the way, your 'friend' does not really care about you or love you. You can't trust him." Obviously this was not my friend speaking, nor was it God. It was the devil lying to me and trying to deceive me about who I am and who my friend is.


What do you believe about yourself?


Do you live inside your head? Have you ever heard a voice in your mind say you aren’t good enough, pretty enough, smart enough, or just enough? You fall into that same temptation again. You walk by that intimidating girl and her friends in the hallway at school and you just know they’re talking about you. You’ve tried and tried to prove yourself but no matter how hard you try, you just can’t seem to get it right. You talk to a friend and although you know the comment he made to you was probably said “in love,” it sure didn’t feel loving.


Our enemy the devil, has this cunning way of twisting the truth and deceiving us by making us believe lies about ourselves, other people, and even God.


In the past he has convinced me that I don’t measure up. That I’m unlovable. That I have nothing valuable to give and therefore I shouldn’t even try. These beliefs do wonders for your self-esteem. NOT!


Do you see how these “voices” in our heads can be defeating?


Thankfully there’s a way to combat the lies that our enemy tells us: the TRUTH.


Where do you find the truth? In the Bible. In Christian songs. Through prayer ~ telling God how you feel and asking Him to show you the truth. Christian friends can also remind us of the truth when we’ve forgotten it. If you’re struggling with beliefs that may be untrue, tell a trusted Christian friend. When we bring things out in the open, it makes it harder for the devil to work in those areas of our lives and it also gives our Christian friends the opportunity to remind us of the truth and pray for us.


When I was with my friend, God knew my heart was hurting. But He is so amazingly good. He was right there at the point of my pain, listening to the lies the devil was spewing at me and speaking the truth to me: "Kristen, I am with you. I love you. What you're hearing is not reality. LOVE your friend despite what you think he is telling you. STOP RUNNING from where I've called you. Quit running from pain; quit trying to always 'play it safe.' STEP OUT in faith. You are beautiful. I love you and I've called you to do these things for me. I'm right by your side and will help you. Everything I have planned for your life I WILL complete."


What do you believe about yourself? Others? God? Do your beliefs match what the Bible says? Ask God to help you distinguish the truth from lies and to speak truth to you.


“Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith…” 1 Peter 5:8-9 (NIV)


For more on this topic, read
Lies Young Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Danna Gresh.


© 2010 by Kristen Sigmon. All rights reserved.

www.radrevolution.org

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits