"Daddy's Girl"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Lynn Cowell
Proverbs 31 Speaker

“…Let the beloved of the Lord rest secure in Him, for He shields him all day long, and the one the Lord loves rests between his shoulders.” Deuteronomy 33:12 (NIV)

Dad. What images or thoughts come to mind when you hear that name? Do you think of someone who is close and available? Or does that name produce a less-than-perfect image?


If you’re in the second group, I relate. My dad worked a lot and wasn’t home much. He was also quiet. He didn’t tell me things like, “Lynn, you look pretty today” or “Be careful what kind of guy you like.” He never told me I was precious or his girl. He didn’t even tell me he loved me until just before he died. So, if the word “father” doesn’t carry a perfect image in your mind, I get that.


That’s why I love Psalm 68:5. God says HE is a father to the fatherless. I need a father!


For some of you, maybe your father isn’t around, or if he is, you wish he wasn’t because he has a temper, an addiction or won’t turn off the T.V.


Jesus wanted us to know what God our Father is like and what His true heart is towards us. In Luke 15:11-32 He shares the story of the Prodigal Son. Read it! The father in the story demonstrates three traits that are just like God:


He Loves You
Father God is love. It’s WHO He is! A person can act loving today but tomorrow be mean or cruel, but God IS love. He doesn’t change (Hebrews 13:8, James 1:17).


He Accepts You
Not only does God love you; He accepts you. Remember, He created you! I used to look at other people and think, If I was more like Vickie, maybe God would be more proud of me! Then, someone shared with me, “If He wanted you to be funny (fill in the blank), He would have made you that way!” He took 6 days to create the world, but He took 9 months to create you so surely He created you exactly the way He wanted!


He is Forgiving
Father God is forgiving. Psalm 103:12 says He throws our sins as far as the east is from the west. Gone! Permanently.



This is what God is like – loving, accepting, and forgiving. He is the perfect Father who wants to love on you and walk beside you.


Dear Father God, I need a father like You. Please take my life and give me Yours. I know that as You do that, You become my father. Teach me to know You as one who loves, accepts and forgives me … perfectly! In Jesus’ name, Amen.


GO DEEPER:

Ponder: Psalm 68:5, "A father to the fatherless … is God in his holy dwelling.” (NIV)


Apply: Write out a letter to your Father God. Let Him know what you need from Him as Your Father.


Read: Want More Love? by Kathy Wierenga Buchanan


Share: Do you often find yourself frustrated with your earthly dad? What can you do to give those feelings to the Lord and ask Him to fill the gap that your earthly father leaves?


© 2010 by Lynn Cowell. All rights reserved.
www.radrevolution.org

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits