"The Letter"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Cara McLauchlan

“I have much more to say to you, more than you can bear. But when He, the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth.” John 16:12-13 (NIV)


The turquoise blue envelope dated from a while back fell to the floor as I leafed through an old book. I couldn’t help notice it was in my own handwriting with my name on it.

“How funny,” I thought. “A letter to me, from me.”

I couldn’t remember why I had written myself a letter or what might have been on my heart at the time. But as God’s words always are, the timing and content were perfect.

The letter read:

Dear Beloved:

Use your gifts! Make my name famous. Put me first. More than anything, I want you to spend some time with me. Each day before you begin, listen to my whispers in your heart. Spend time in my Word, listen for my voice especially for you. Get on to being excellent in Jesus Christ. Be profoundly gifted in my name. Be spectacular in what He has called you to do. That is what I made you to do. Quit being so distracted. Focus on me, the rest will fall into place. Remember how I am so good to you! Know who you are in Christ. Have faith and patience. I will take care of the rest.

Love you,
J.C.

What a comfort to read those words. I remembered later that the letter was part of an exercise. We were invited to imagine if God were to write us a note that arrived in our mailboxes, what His words might be to us.

God used this letter to infuse my thoughts with His love. When I found it, I had been struggling with my gifts and how to use them for God. The letter out of the blue reminded me how God wants our best, even when we don’t feel our best. God sees us as beautifully gifted, capable and amazing, and He’s waiting for us to succeed and celebrate all His wonder and goodness.

The letter showed me I was focused on the wrong things. I was focusing on all my weaknesses, fears and insecurities, when really there was only one place my focus should have been – on God and His plans for my life.

Dear Lord, Thank You for making Your love real to me in surprising ways. Teach me to keep my eyes on You when I struggle. Thank You for Your generous love that is real and personal, just for me. Change my heart to see Your love everywhere I look. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

GO DEEPER:

Ponder: 1 John 3:1, “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God. And that is what we are!” (NIV)

Apply: Ask God to make His love more real to you in practical ways this week.
Write yourself a letter about what God might speak to you and your heart. Tuck it away to read to yourself another day.

Read:
His Princess: Love Letters from Your King by Sheri Rose Shepherd

Share: How has God surprised you with His love this week?

© 2010 by Cara McLauchlan. All rights reserved.
www.radrevolution.org

Labels: ,



5 Comments:

Blogger One Heart said...

This is simply perfect. Reading your letter was like hearing His voice and it was right on target for me today.

I hope to be able to get the book this weekend. Would you recommend it for my 17 year old daughter as well? Is it a devotional/daily reading?

Thank you for sharing.

Blogger One Heart said...

Just looked up the book. It is exactly what I had hoped to read with my daughter who enjoys reading and loves the Lord with all her heart. I think she will be very blessed by it--we both will. Thank you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing post, thank you so much for writing it Cara. God is always surprising me in very unique ways and this blog was surely an answer from my Father's heart. How great is our King! :) <3 XOXO, Mel!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One Heart:

I am very glad you found the book! I pray that your daughter enjoys the special message tucked!
Blessings to both of you,

The Rad Rev Team

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To our anonymous reader:)

We are very glad that Cara's words spoke to your heart! He is a great King!

Blessings,
The Rad Rev Team

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits