"No More Tightropes"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Rachelle Rea


“You broaden the path beneath me, so that my ankles do not turn.” 2 Samuel 22:37 (NIV)


During my competitive gymnastics career, I learned a lot about turned ankles. I can’t tell you how many times one (or both!) clumsy feet of mine rolled or twisted beneath me.


In my Christian life, I know about erecting unrealistic tightropes that result in even more pain than turned ankles!


Recently, I tried to walk on tightropes of impossible expectations, stress, pressure, and perfectionism. As these tightropes were ridiculously high, thin, and weak, I found them impossible to cross. When I forced myself to try to cross these tightropes, instead of drawing closer to God, I found myself hurtling towards the safety net.


Have you ever tried to balance your life on a tightrope? Are you wobbling and bobbling on one right now? Living life on a tightrope is definitely not God’s purpose for His daughters! He has something far better in mind!


The first step to being set free and running on the path God has for us is to understand the reason we string tightropes in the first place. It is when we lose sight of our true purpose that we welcome unrealistic pressure into our lives. Tightropes are erected when we are not focusing on God and on glorifying Him, which is our true purpose, but on what we think our purpose is (being the best, pleasing others, having a perfect life, you fill in the blank).


Psalm 119:32 says God sets our hearts free. When I was about to fall off of my tightrope, God set my heart free! He set me free from the silly requirements I had been ruthlessly demanding myself to meet. He set me free from the worries and anxieties of life that like quicksand threatened to consume me. And He is willing to do the same for you!


In His presence, I have found freedom, peace and pure joy. I am seeking to rest each day in His purpose for me, to run on the paths He has set for me instead of stumbling around on tightropes. God continues to clarify my true purpose, which is to follow Him, serve Him wholeheartedly, and glorify Him with my life.


You, too, my sisters in Christ, can be free!


God, I want to be free! Instead of teetering on tightropes of worry, stress, and pressure, I want to embrace my true purpose in You. Please help me to trust You and enable me to glorify You with my life. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


GO DEEPER:


Ponder: Psalm 119:32, “I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.” (NIV)


Apply: Spend some time in prayer and ask God to reveal to you any tightropes that you have erected in your life. How can you allow God to “broaden the path beneath you” so you can run, free and joyful, on His path for you?


Read:
Coming Up For Air by Margaret Becker


Share: What sort of tightropes have you strung in your life? How did/is God setting you free from them?


© 2010 by Rachelle Rea. All rights reserved.

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Rachelle said...

Visit me at my blog, girls, at rosesdaringadventure.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits