"Finding Your Way in the Dark"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Cara McLauchlan

“The Lord is my light and my salvation –whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1 (NIV)

I used to be terrified of the dark. But a simple nightlight taught me I had nothing to fear.


Living in a drafty, old home as a kid, nothing was creepier than going to bed alone. The house would moan, groan and strain its way through Midwestern winters. Wind would sneak through the cracks and windows all night long. As a kid, this made for sleepless nights and disturbing dreams.


I left a light on for safety; I felt like nothing bad would happen then. My older sister, growing tired of my light-filled nights, found a special nightlight for me in the shape of an owl. It filled my corner of the room with a warm glow. I loved it. I felt like Mr. Owl stood watch over me as I slept, guarding me and making sure nothing happened to me while he was on duty.


If I woke up hearing strange noises, I would glance over at the owl for reassurance. He became my nighttime friend I could count on and know everything was going to be okay.


As I grew older, new worries and fears came into my life. I wasn’t afraid of the dark anymore, but I worried about many other things. Was I pretty? Was I smart enough? Would I ever have a boyfriend? Would I get good enough grades to get into college? Many things kept me up at night. It seems silly, but I wanted that same reassurance I found in the owl that things would be okay.


The more I thought about it, the more I realized the owl was similar to God’s love. Better than a piece of plastic, God’s love would always be a beacon of safety and with me during fearful times. Nothing reassures or fulfills like Him, and nothing can be a beacon in the dark night like His love.


I still have sleepless nights, but I now know what to do with the troublesome thoughts. I remind myself that my God is up and He’ll be watching over me all night long; His hands are big enough to hold all my problems; and I can rest knowing my fears are small compared to God’s love and power.


Dear Lord, I am grateful that I know I can rest in Your love. I am safe in You and know I can come to You with any problem, worry or fear and place it at Your feet. Thank You for your perfect love. Help me to remember to always trust in You -- not the things of the world -- but only Your true light when I am afraid. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


GO DEEPER:

Ponder: Matthew 6:25-27, “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air, they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” (NIV)


Apply: Make your own “emergency kit” for when you are worried or afraid– put together your favorite Scriptures and items that remind you and reassure you in Christ’s love. You may even find a friend or mentor who can pray with you or talk with you about worries that are troubling you. Commit to encourage each other as prayer partners.


Read:
Holding His Hand: A Devotional for Teen Girls by Beka Dewitt


Share: What helps you when you worry?



© 2010 by Cara McLauchlan. All rights reserved.
www.radrevolution.org
A Division of Proverbs 31 Ministries

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits