"Open for Service"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.




“ … Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave – just as the son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 20:26-28 (NIV)

My son came leaping down the stairs calling my name. He showed me his drawing with lots of pictures, and at the top of the page were the words “Open For Service.”


As he explained his brilliant idea of making himself available to do things for other people, he asked what he could do for me. I gave him a few ideas. He even asked his sisters if he could do anything for them! When I asked him why he was doing this, his face lit up as he proudly proclaimed, “I just like serving people and it makes them happy!”


I was so proud of my son for having a servant’s heart, and began to consider if my own heart could stand up to that test.


There are days I think I deserve a pat on the back for all the nice things I have done. There are other days when I am resentful that no one helped me do those things and I am certain that no one appreciates all my hard work. Neither of those attitudes is indicative of a servant’s heart.


In Matthew 20:28 above, Jesus explains He came to earth to serve, not to be served. He is the ultimate role model of someone who always put others before Himself, and never expected, nor desired, any recognition for it.


1 Peter 4:10 instructs us to use whatever gifts we have been given to serve others. Romans 12:7 explains that whatever gifts we have been given by God, it is our responsibility as a child of God to use those gifts to serve Him. Even when we are serving wholeheartedly, the time may come when our pride or desire to be appreciated and recognized spoils our desire to serve. We need to remember the rewards we will reap for serving God with a whole and loving heart will far outweigh any earthly rewards or kudos we could receive from people.


One day I hope to have an invisible sign on my heart that only God sees that says “open for service.” I pray that my acts of service will be focused on the needs of others, and done only for the One Holy Savior who I am serving.


Dear Lord, help me to have the desire to serve You with my full heart, and to push aside feelings of selfishness and pride. Give me the wisdom to recognize the gifts You have given me, and open my eyes to opportunities to use those gifts to serve and glorify Your kingdom. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


GO DEEPER:

Ponder: Ephesians 6:7, “Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men…” (NIV)

Apply: When you hear the whisper of the enemy attempting to poison your mind with self-focused feelings, try to remember this verse from 1 Timothy 3:13: “Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.”

Share: What gifts has God given you that you can use to serve others?

© 2007, 2010 by Tracie Miles. All rights reserved.
www.radrevolution.org
A Division of Proverbs 31 Ministries

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Blogger Rachelle (Rose) said...

Amen and amen!

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits