"Sweet Ginger"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Autumn Sisk


“Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for You are close beside me. Your rod and staff protect and comfort me.” Psalm 23:4 (NLT)


When you see her in public, you would never know what she has been through in her 28 years on earth. Ginger looks like a beautiful, healthy young woman. But to those who know her, she is far more than that. She is an inspiration.


Several weeks after she got married, her husband was sent to Iraq to serve for a year. It took faith and strength to deal with that, but almost as soon as he arrived safely home from war, she found out she had cancer.


As a 23-year-old, just starting a job and married life, everything came to a halt as she went through several rounds of chemo. Unfortunately, that's only the beginning of her story.


Two years after her first bout with cancer, doctors discovered her cancer had come back. More chemo, the loss of the gorgeous hair that had just grown back, and a bone marrow transplant in order to completely rid her of the cancer. I have to admit, I questioned God when I found out that she had to go through all of this ... AGAIN!


How can a wonderful and faithful woman have cancer twice before her 27th birthday? She made it through grueling months of treatments, and had to be quarantined away from everyone for weeks due to the treatments which had killed her immune system. When she finally got the all clear from cancer, she had to deal with other health issues caused by her cancer treatments.


I don't know about you, but I think I would be mad at the world. Ginger, however, is always positive and faithful. She sees every day as a gift from God. She loves everyone in her life. She prays for all her loved ones, and puts them first above herself. She smiles constantly. If there is any doubt in her, she never shows it. She has never given up hope of being completely healthy again.


Having Ginger in my life has made my faith stronger. Watching the way she deals with her cancer amazes me. When her hair began to fall out, she let her husband give her a mohawk and sent the picture to her friends. She constantly makes jokes about things that most people would cry over. She never allows herself to have "poor me" thoughts. Ginger always says, "God is in control even if I don't like what's going on. He will use this for His good."


Not a day goes by that I don't think of my dear friend and her battles. She is a ray of sunshine to all who know her. I have no doubt that God smiles when He looks down on her. Ginger is truly a good and faithful servant.


Do you know someone like Ginger? I hope so. She has been an inspiration and blessing to me, and I am certain that my faith has grown stronger by watching her live through her tough circumstances. I thank God for her every day.


Dear Lord, thank You for Ginger and all of Your servants who endure hardships in life. I ask that You strengthen my faith so that I may endure when things get tough. I thank You for the tough times in life because I know that they make us stronger. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


GO DEEPER:


Ponder: Romans 5:3, "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit which has been given to us." (ESV)


Apply: Pray for those who are struggling with difficult circumstances in their lives.

Ask God to make you strong in your faith so that you will be able to endure when you have struggles in your life.


Listen:
What Faith Can Do by Kutless


Read:
Teen Devotional Bible


Share: Who has inspired you with their faith during trying times?


© 2010 by Autumn Sisk. All rights reserved.



Autumn Sisk lives in Atlanta, Georgia and has been a competitive tennis player since high school. She enjoys leading a Bible study for teenage girls and wants to one day visit Jerusalem. She is addicted to watching and cheering for the Atlanta Braves and also loves watching the Disney channel on T.V. Her favorite Bible verse is Colossians 3:17 because knowing how much Jesus loves her inspires her to live her life for Him.




Labels: ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Kristen@RadicalRevolution said...

Update on Ginger: She's doing great! She's been healthy for almost two years now.

Thank You God for Ginger and that she's such an inspiration to so many. Keep her healthy & use her to impact many more people for You. Use each of us to do the same! Amen.

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits