"When Doubt Arises"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Josephine Backhouse

“‘...Do not be unbelieving but believing.’ And Thomas answered and said to Him, ‘My Lord and my God!’” John 20:27-28 (NKJV)

Have you ever felt doubtful about God’s presence in your life amidst struggles and pain?

I have and it seems that Thomas certainly had those feelings, too. Faced with the death of his Lord on the cross, he was then told by the other disciples that Jesus had risen from the dead and had appeared to them. It was just too much for him to accept. Still feeling the devastating impact of His Savior’s death, Thomas told the disciples that until he saw Jesus for himself, he would not believe.

When I heard that passage read in church recently, I thought about how often I doubt God’s presence and His working in my life until I see it clearly. It is easy to feel like we cannot truly believe until we have seen with our own eyes.

Yet, God assures us that when we put our trust in Him, we are surely blessed. We do not always see God visibly as the disciples did, yet when we open our hearts to believe in Christ and in God’s perfect love, when we invite the Holy Spirit to live within us and when we believe in God’s Word we can trust in the fact that God is working. It may not always be clearly or visibly, but He is working nonetheless in every detail of our lives to transform and change us into His likeness.

Let’s open our Bibles to read God’s Word. Let’s pray with hope that God is with us and that He hears our prayers. Let’s look for God even in those times that feel dark and hopeless. Let’s invite God to shift our focus to believing and trusting in Him. In Romans 8, we are reminded that He works these things out for the good of those who love Him. What beautiful and wonderful things happen when we put aside our doubts and trust in His goodness.

When you believe “that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God” you can exchange your doubt for life “in His name” (John 20:31).

Dear Lord, sometimes it is not easy to trust You. Please forgive me for doubting Your presence in my life when things go wrong and I face struggles. Fill me with the knowledge that Your presence is always with me, and that You never leave me or forsake me. Help me to live my life with the hope and security that comes from a thriving relationship with You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

GO DEEPER:

Ponder: Matthew 28:20, “I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (NJKV)

Apply: Make a list of the verses that can help you know God is near in times of doubt and fear. Keep them near and reread them when you need encouragement.

Read:
Teen Virtue: Your Questions about God, Guys, and Getting Older by Vicki Courtney

Share: Do you doubt God is working in your life? How can you open your heart to allow Him to reveal Himself to you?


© 2010 by Josephine Backhouse. All rights reserved.


Jo Backhouse attends University of Leicester in England. She enjoys writing her own songs, playing the piano, hanging out with friends and watching movies. Jo can do sign language and her favorite food is lasagna. She also speaks German, French and a little Spanish and Italian. Her favorite Bible verse is Ephesians 2:8-10 because it reminds her that we are saved by God’s grace and it talks about the good plans God has for us.




Labels:



5 Comments:

Blogger Rachelle (Rose) said...

I love this devotion. Thanks for sharing! That is so neat that you speak all of those langauges! I am currently learning Spanish and it's tricky!

Blogger jo :) said...

Buono sera Rachelle :) Lovely to know your learning spanish, my favourite language is german! Glad you liked the devotion and pray you find it useful in your relationship with God too. Have a blessed week!

Anonymous Xochi said...

Thank you for this awesome ministry. So many times, I forget God's past faithfulness when I am in the midst of a storm. But, in His grace and goodness, He uses His Word and His people to remind me that He is in control. May God bless this ministry as you continue to use your gifts for His glory!

Anonymous Kristen@RadicalRevolution said...

Thanks for your encouraging words, Xochi! God truly is faithful in the midst of every storm. Praying that He blesses you as well.

Blogger jo :) said...

I definately agree- I've experienced God using His word and people around me to encourage, speak to and sometimes to challenge me, its amazing to see how fully and intricately He speaks in our lives, so thankful for this ministry too. God bless. Jo Xxx

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits