“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NIV)
Want to grow closer to God?
Getting into your Bible is the key! The Bible is a treasure trove of endless wealth for the children of God. There is comfort, encouragement, inspiration, guidance, and best of all, there’s Him! God’s Holy Spirit speaks to our hearts through every sentence, drawing us closer and closer to the One we yearn to know.
Here are some practical ways to help you get into the Word:
1. Just read it! Place your Bible on your nightstand or another handy place. Read it in every spare moment!
“Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.” Joshua 1:8 (NIV)
2. Begin by reading Psalm 119, which is a letter of adoration for God’s Word. It will inspire you to think as highly of the Bible as the psalmist did!
3. Commit! Set a time when you are going to meet with God in His Word. Remember, this is a date between you and God. Don’t stand Him up!
“Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.” Psalm 119:105 (NIV)
4. Purchase a Bible study or daily devotional book. Some great ones I love include “My Utmost for His Highest” by Oswald Chambers, “Streams in the Desert” by L. B. Cowman and the TrueLife Bible studies by Shannon Primicerio.
5. Take it outside! The weather’s still nice outside, after all! Get out there and enjoy it! Find a quiet spot. This could be your front porch swing, a lawn chair, a bench in the park, or the base of a tree! Wherever you can find a bit of shade, crack open your Bible and meet with God.
Tip: Make sure the Bible you are reading is in a version you understand. Perhaps invest in a study or devotional Bible that is full of study helps – notes to help deepen your understanding of God’s words to you.
6. Find a Bible reading plan you can stick to. You can read through the entire Bible in 90 days or a year. You can read all about the life of Jesus or another Bible character you are interested in. There are all kinds of plans out there!
7. Do a word study! Using a concordance, choose a word that means a lot to you right now (love, peace, joy, etc.) then make a list of all of the verses which contain that word. Read through them one at a time. You’ll be amazed at what you’ll learn as you allow God to share with you His thoughts on the particular word.
“Every time I opened the Bible to read, my focus was to gain a deeper understanding of the nature and character of my Prince. I grew so much closer to Him, and came to know Him so much better, through filling my mind and heart with His eternal Word.” Leslie Ludy, Authentic Beauty
Have some more ideas for how we can delve deeper into God’s Word? Leave a comment below. We would love for you to share your thoughts with us!
CHALLENGE: Do you want to grow closer to Jesus? Come to know Him better by filling your mind and heart with His Word!
Book to Check Out: The Bare Bones Bible Handbook for Teens: Getting to Know Every Book in the Bible by Jim George
Music Video to Check Out: "Ancient Words" by Michael W. Smith
© 2010 by Rachelle Rea. All rights reserved.
A college freshman, Rachelle Rea coaches gymnastics at her local YMCA. She loves blogging, walking, chocolate, and hanging out with friends. One thing that encourages her constantly is how God loves her in spite of how often she messes up. Her favorite verse is Ephesians 3:20 because through that verse, God reminds her to dream big because He dreams big!
For more from Rachelle, visit her blog at www.rosesdaringadventure.blogspot.com.