"Only One You"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Tracie Miles
Proverbs 31 Speaker

“Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that … Don’t compare yourself with others …” Galatians 6:4-5 (Message)

After weeks of anticipation, I took my daughter shopping for the perfect outfit for her first day of school. She looked in the mirror, smiled and exclaimed, “This is it!”


At the end of her first day, I expected her to be bubbling with enthusiasm as she shared her new school adventures. Instead, tears welled up in her eyes. “Mom, all the girls are wearing jeans today, and I have on a skirt. I look ugly.” Within minutes of arriving to school that morning, her beaming self-confidence was shattered and her sweet spirit crushed all because she compared herself to those around her, making her feel inferior. I reassured her that she looked beautiful, and that Jesus had made her perfect and special. But I could tell that her heart still ached.


I knew how she felt. I have endured those same insecure feelings in my life. I have played the comparison game many times, making me feel inferior to others. We can never win the comparison game; it leaves us discouraged and disheartened as we yearn to be like someone else and discover that we can’t.


Searching for self-worth through the eyes of others and comparing ourselves to them blurs our vision of who God created us to be.


Instead of seeing His image when we look at our reflection in the mirror, we see all the things we wish we could change. No one had told my daughter she was inferior because she wore a different outfit; she had merely created that perception in her mind.


When we are focused inward at our insecurities, we are no longer focused upward at our Savior. It’s easy to be whisked into the habit of seeking approval from the world’s standards, and not from the One who always accepts us and reassures us that we are fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14).


Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.” When we concentrate on who God created us to be instead of wishing we were like someone else, our self-confidence and sense of security will soar.


So friend, love yourself! Don’t compare yourself to others. Remember God made you in His own image. As a result, you can love and honor one of God’s most amazing creations – YOU!


Dear Lord, forgive me for comparing myself to others. Help me focus on seeking Your will for my life, and using my talents to glorify You, rather than trying to meet standards that You may have not set for me. Help me remember how beautiful and unique I am in Your eyes. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

GO DEEPER:

Ponder: Galatians 1:10, “Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.” (NIV)

Apply: Embrace your uniqueness.
Make a personal commitment to stop playing the comparison game and honor God by loving the way He created you.

Read: A Teenager’s Secret Diary Unlocked: My Struggle to Like Me by Suzy Weibel

Share: Do you spend time focusing on your weaknesses or strengths? What strengths do you have to offer the world?


© 2008, 2010 by Tracie Miles. All rights reserved.



Tracie Miles and her family live in the suburbs of Charlotte, NC. Some of Tracie’s favorite things include writing devotions, singing praise and worship songs, playing tennis, cheering her kids on at their sports events, and shopping. She also enjoys helping young women learn to see their value through God’s eyes, rather than the eyes of the world.

www.radrevolution.org
A Division of Proverbs 31 Ministries

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Debra Weiss said...

Hi Tracie,

This was a terrific devotional. I absolutely loved your message. Thank you for sharing it.

In Him,
Debra

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits