"Right On Time"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Lynn Cowell
Proverbs 31 Speaker

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” James 1:17 (NIV)


The screaming and whining could be heard all over the store. “But, Mommy, I want that one!” Pointing to the beautiful china doll on the top shelf, the little girl cried out again. Her mother tried to reason with her. “I don’t want a different one! I want that one!” The child didn’t understand or care that the one she wanted was not the best doll for her. She just liked the way it looked from afar and that was all that mattered.


My parents once gave me a gift I can still remember when I turned 16: a keychain with a key to their car. I loved it! That key represented freedom; independence. Exactly what I was craving at that time! They took the time to pick out something they knew I would like. It was the right gift at the right time.

If, however, my parents had given me that exact same gift when I was six, it would have been very strange; inappropriate even. At six, I would have wondered what it was for. I wouldn’t have even known how to use it! My parents knew what to give and when to give it.


In James 1:17 we are told that God our Father gives good gifts to us, His children. Not only does He give good gifts, but He knows perfectly what to give and when to give it. His gifts are not spur-of-the-moment because He forgot that a special day was on its way. His gifts are all about perfect timing.


The key is, can we wait patiently, all the while trusting that, in fact, God’s timing is perfect? Can we trust that He has our best in mind and is all the while working on our behalf?

Sometimes we grow impatient waiting for God’s gift. We want the gift and we want it now. So we make the mistake of trying to get the gift by ourselves. Have you ever tried to get something by yourself? Are you tempted to go and get it any way, even if there is a possibility you could end up with way more consequences than you bargained for?


There are times He seems to be saying “no” or at least saying “not now.” It is here, in the place where our desires intersect with His will, that we have to trust. It is here that we must trust that Father knows best and that every gift comes from Him. Every time, in His time, the gift is good and perfect.


I have seen God's perfect gifts in my life as I have waited on Him. Waited on Him for a husband. Waited on Him to open doors for ministry. Waited on Him to draw my kids to Himself. Lord, I see my history with You. I'm going to choose to keep waiting for your good and perfect gifts.

Dear Lord, Waiting on You is so hard! My heart wants to get things moving; step up and take action. Help me to always bring my desires to You, knowing that you always have my best at heart. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


GO DEEPER:


Ponder: Psalm 27:14, “Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.” (NIV)

Apply: Begin a “Thank you” notebook. Start out by writing your history with God. How have you seen His faithfulness? When have you in your life, waited on God and seen His faithfulness; His good and perfect gift?

Read: A Young Woman’s Walk with God: Growing More Like Jesus by Elizabeth George

Share: Are you currently in a waiting place?


© 2010 by Lynn Cowell. All rights reserved.


Lynn Cowell lives in Charlotte, NC with her family. They enjoy hiking, football, rugby, white water rafting, fast pitch softball and music.


Lynn loves hanging out with girls and challenging them to run hard after Jesus; to discover Him as the purest lover of their heart and to find that He completely fills every corner and every desire. He alone.


For more from Lynn, visit her blog at www.lynncowell.com.


www.radrevolution.org
A Division of Proverbs 31 Ministries

Labels: ,



2 Comments:

Anonymous Delle said...

I may not be a teen girl, but this devotional was just for me today. I'm a 20-something college graduate, waiting for God to provide me with a job, and it has been a struggle at times not to get disheartened. I'm encouraged by the fact that God's timing is perfect, even though it seems to me he's taking too long. Thanks for allowing Him to use you

Anonymous Lynn Cowell said...

Delle,
Every season of life has waiting...I'm glad you found encouragement during your wait! God is faithful...Lynn

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits