"Serving: The Dirty Side"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Lynn Cowell
Proverbs 31 Speaker


“But made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.” Philippians 2:7 (NIV)


“Those babies sure are cute, but man do I stink like spit up,” said my friend Mariah. I could see on her shirt the evidence. Each week, she volunteers in the baby room after attending the first service at church. It is often a dirty job.


Serving.


Last Easter, 750 people came to know Christ at our church. That’s huge! That’s exciting! That’s when it is fun to serve.


Then there is the other side. Baby diapers (and spit-up!), yard work for sick neighbors, and making copies in the church office. That is the dirty side of serving.


The question is: How are our hearts in both situations? Are we happy to just be a part of the action going on in God’s kingdom, no matter what?


My secret: I struggle. I like to have pats on the back or some type of thanks when I do something for others. But that is not what Jesus says I should be serving for. He says when I serve; it is to be for His praise, not for my own. He is the one who is to get the attention.


Lord, help me. I want to have a great attitude, both in my words and in my actions. I know I mess up sometimes. Help me to serve for Your applause only. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


GO DEEPER:


Ponder: Psalm 103:21, “Praise the Lord, all his heavenly hosts, you his servants who do his will.” (NIV)

Apply: Think of a ministry that you think is cool then give them a call and ask how you can be a part of the action. Remember, no service is too small!

Read: Being a Girl Who Leads: Becoming a Leader by Following Christ by Shannon Kubiak Primicerio

Share: What is your favorite way to serve? What types of creative ways have you thought of to impact the world for Him?


© 2010 by Lynn Cowell. All rights reserved.



Lynn Cowell lives in Charlotte, NC with her family. They enjoy hiking, football, rugby, white water rafting, fast pitch softball and music.

Lynn loves hanging out with girls and challenging them to run hard after Jesus; to discover Him as the purest lover of their heart and to find that He completely fills every corner and every desire. He alone.

For more from Lynn, visit her blog at
www.lynncowell.com.



Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits