"Show Respect"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Carolina McCurdy

“Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart.” Ephesians 6:5-6 (NIV)


I used to completely disregard this verse. I would scan past it until I got to Colossians 3:23 and read about doing all things as unto the Lord and not to man. However, I have only recently realized that this verse is still very applicable to my life today. I may not be a slave, but I am an employee!


I was a lifeguard this summer at a water park near my house. I loved my job and I had absolute respect for my supervisors. They looked for ways to encourage us, they had fun with us, and they were always working hard. A few months ago I was really convicted that my respect for them needed to be shown through both my words and my actions.


Typically, my response to a command was simply "OK." God showed me that I could do better in showing respect for my supervisors by the way I spoke to them. I struggled for a few days after that conviction to get anything else out. I would remember once my opportunity was gone then kick myself for forgetting. As I prayed about my forgetfulness I realized that respect is like love, I have to show them both. I cannot keep either hidden from the other person, otherwise they will never know. My managers will never see my respect for them with "OK" no matter how sweetly I say it.


I tell people I love that I love them, but why should they believe me if I never speak to them with love? I need to speak to those I respect in a way that reflects that.


I made changes and began responding more respectfully to my supervisors. I was respecting them with my both my actions and my words, and in that I was obeying Christ, which is all that really matters!



Dear God, please help me to respect those in authority over me. Let my words and my actions line up with Your will so that I can reflect Your love while I am at home, school, or work. Help me to learn to respect the people that might make doing that a little more difficult out of love for You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


GO DEEPER:


Ponder: Colossians 3:22-23. “Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” (NIV)


Apply: This week work to let your words and actions reflect the respect you have for Christ be apparent in the way you respect those in authority.


Read: Being a Girl Who Leads: Becoming a Leader by Following Christ by Shannon Kubiak Primicerio


Share: What are ways you can think of to show respect? Who are people you need to work on being more respectful toward?


© 2010 by Carolina McCurdy. All rights reserved.



Carolina McCurdy is a freshman at Christ for the Nations Institute. She was born in Germany and has played basketball for 8 years. Among her favorite music artists are Kari Jobe, Fireflight, and Barlow Girl. She enjoys playing guitar, swimming and hanging out with friends. Worship is Carolina’s passion and her heart is strongly burdened for teenage girls. Her favorite verse is Colossians 3:12-14; she wants her life and her relationships to reflect this passage.


www.radrevolution.org
A Division of Proverbs 31 Ministries

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits