5 Ways to Be a Wise Teen

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.

By: Debra Weiss

“For wisdom is better than rubies, and all the things one may desire cannot be compared with her.” Proverbs 8:11 (NKJV)

Imagine if you had the ability to know what to do in every situation you ever faced. From your dad’s temper and fights with your best friend to dating dilemmas and more, imagine having the knowledge to know what to do in every single instance without fail.



There is a way you can know one hundred percent how to handle each set of circumstances. Sound like a fantasy? It’s not. It’s called wisdom.


When I was a teenager, my mom made me promise I would read a chapter of Proverbs every day. It wasn't a huge request and it was something my mom seemed to feel strongly about so I did it.


I didn't really understand what I was reading but day after day, I read. I began to notice that Solomon, the author of Proverbs, spoke on four topics frequently: wisdom, knowledge, understanding and discernment.


I began to pray that God would give me wisdom since it seemed to be a really big deal to Solomon. I've now been praying that same prayer for years. I have Christian mentors and friends frequently tell me that I seem to have wisdom beyond my years.


Merriam-Webster.com defines wisdom as the “ability to discern inner qualities and relationships.” Having wisdom is to have insight and discernment on what to do in any given situation.


Where do you get wisdom? You can’t just walk into a fast food restaurant and say, “I’d like two chocolate milkshakes, a burger, and oh yeah, a side order of wisdom.”


How can you be a teenager full of wisdom in today’s society? I’ve found five simple steps for being a teenager filled with wisdom.


1. Confess. Regular confession keeps us in tune with God. Sin in our lives often blocks our interest in hearing God’s voice. Be quick to confess your sins and accept that God remembers them no more.


2. Stay humble. Acknowledge that God is Supreme Ruler of the universe. No one deserves more respect, praise or adoration than Him. Stay humble by being quick to give the glory in everything you do and say to God and God alone.


3. Ask for wisdom. The only true source of wisdom is God. Look at what James, an early Christian had to say about wisdom: “But if any man among you is without wisdom, let him make his request to God, who gives freely to all without an unkind word, and it will be given to him.” (James 1:5, Bible in Basic English)


4. Read Proverbs. If you want to be wise, reading Proverbs daily is a must. The book of Proverbs written by Solomon contains many wise sayings that are relevant to our lives even today.


5. Have the right attitude. B.J. Hamrick, editor of RealTeenFaith.com says, “Being wise is really a matter of the heart. If the servant is like his master, knowing Jesus and drawing near to Him is what makes us wise.”


Ultimately, wisdom is the result of a teenager that loves Jesus and seeks His will above all.


© 2010 by Debra Weiss. All rights reserved.

Debra lives outside of Charleston, SC. She enjoys journaling, road trips, good music, learning new things, lemon filled Krispy Kremes, and hanging out with friends and family. She loves worshiping God because when we worship God, we are acknowledging that He is Supreme Ruler of our lives. After growing up in a Christian home, at the age of 13, she decided to be an atheist. Yet God searches after each prodigal relentlessly. When she was 16, she rededicated her life to Jesus Christ and has been seeking Him ever since.




Labels: ,



5 Comments:

Anonymous Hannah said...

Debra,
Thanks for another wonderful post. I am currently doing a read though the Bible w/ a friend. I think that I'll add Proverbs with that. So far it looks like the only dignoias (I know i spelled that wrong) is chronic pain. But they aren't managing that very well when you have to go to the e.r. three times in one weeks worth of time. I am also having some depression issues like I have been for quite a while.to give you an example here is a recent entry i wrote in my journal that i want to enlagre and turn into a song
Daddy, why must you be so ill?
Why must you have so much pain?
Daddy, Daddy I love you so.
Oh Daddy please, Daddy please don’t go.
Daddy please don’t go.

I was going to talk to my mom about me talking to a counsler because she is having a lot of her own emotional issues. But I can't exactly talk to her when she is ont he phone, gone with an appointment with my dad, or rushing around trying to do something for my dad while he is spasming in pain. I would love to just talk to you but I would kind of prefer someone in person to talk to. Or someone not so far away that I would have to use long distance, or if I had my own private e-mail that my parents wouldn't read. Maybe I can find another adult to talk to but they're all so busy. I hope that you can have enough spoons for a long time. Right now walking up the stairs is about five spoons for my dad, on a good day. Sorry to bug you with my sob story.
hugs and many thanks,
Hannah

Anonymous Debra Weiss said...

Oh, Hannah! *hugs* You don't bug me. You and your family are on my mind daily, one of the first thoughts in the mornings and one of my last at night. I pray for you daily by myself and with other people every night.

I'd like to share a bit of my story with you because I've walked a similar road. When I was seventeen, I became bedridden due to a genetic medical condition. I was constantly passing out. I was dizzy all the time. I couldn't even stand up right long enough to brush my teeth. It was hard. I remember there was a lot stress and pressure on my family members because they were watching me and helpless. It was frustrating for them and it was frustrating for me.

I know your dad is probably too sick to be much of an emotional support and your mom is so busy caring for your dad that she’s totally depleted. I get that. There are times when parents just can’t be there for us emotionally. There’s a verse I really like that I feel fits when parents can’t be there:

It’s Psalms 27:10, New Living Translation, “Even if my father and mother abandon me, the LORD will hold me close.”

I know on top of everything else you’re dealing with, you probably feel abandoned which is why I wanted to share that verse with you. The Lord is holding you close right now, Hannah. Take comfort in that. Think on that when you feel alone. When you feel worn out and like you can’t go on.

That said, if you’re depressed and are considering hurting yourself or someone else, GET HELP. I cannot stress this strongly enough. Don’t just suffer. GET HELP. There are people out there who want to help.

If possible, I would recommend your entire family see a counselor. As a teenager who dealt with chronic illness, I get just how much of a financial and emotional burden chronic illness can be. There are counselors mentioned in the Bible! In Proverbs 11:14 Solomon said, “Where no wise guidance is, the people falleth: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.”

You can definitely see a counselor by yourself but maybe getting into counseling as a family is a good idea too. I know that God is not limited by your financial situation so pray about a counselor. Pray God will send the right one into your life and your family’s.

But I also know that one of God’s names is Wonderful Counselor. Check it out in Isaiah 9:6: “A child will be born for us. A son will be given to us. The government will rest on his shoulders. He will be named: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”

With God, you never have to schedule an appointment. He’s always there and He’s with you in this trial right now. I know you can’t see Him in the darkness. It’s like that slide I talked about in my last devotional, right? You can’t see Him.

I couldn’t see God when I was going through my own illness either. It’s only years later, I’m able to look back on it and understand what God was doing in my life. I know that I came to a place of surrender in my journey. I had to come before God and say, “You are Sovereign. You are in control. You’re still on your throne even though this hurts.”

Basically, I had to choose to trust God. That’s really hard and sometimes we as Christians get this mixed up idea that trusting God means it doesn’t hurt. That’s crazy. Jesus trusted God completely and yet He still asked that God remove the ‘cup’ or His trial—the Cross.

Anonymous Debra Weiss said...

There’s a great story in John 9 that I love. There’s a blind man and the disciples come to Jesus wanting to know why he’s blind. They automatically assume his parents or maybe the man did some great sin to deserve the blindness.

"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.”

The purpose for what you and your family are going through is to show God’s work. It’s to show other people how amazing your God is. I know that doesn’t change the pain. But know that there is a purpose. Trust that even when you can’t see the way.

I can also tell you that I have dealt with depression relating to a painful situation and the thing that got me through was reading my Bible. That was the first thing I did every morning. Before I went to bed at night, I made sure my Bible was nearby and every morning before I even brushed my teeth, I opened my Bible and I read. Sometimes just a Psalm or two. Sometimes more.

Like some people drink coffee in the mornings, I imagined myself drinking the Living Water first thing. It refreshed and calmed me. It gave me strength and prepared me to face the day.

Before I go, I’d like to say a prayer for you and your family:

Dear God, I lift up my friend and dear sister Hannah to You. I pray against the spirit of depression and the spirit of helplessness that she must feel. In the name of Jesus’, bind these spirits. Let them no longer afflict her but comfort her heart Father. Send her sweet reminders of Your loving care. I pray that she would feel You holding her close during this trial.

And, Father, only You know what’s going on with her dad’s health and it’s within the power of Your hand to heal him. I pray that You would. I ask that You would reach down and heal him—whether through a miraculous sudden healing or through giving a doctor the wisdom to know what’s going on. Please ease this man’s pain. Send it away. Let it never return. This is a small thing in Your sight.

I pray for Hannah’s mom. Lord, You know what an emotional and mental toll it takes to care for someone that’s ill. I pray that You would give Hannah’s mom the strength to keep going. Renew her faith. Comfort her aching heart. Let her find You in the midst of this pain. Let her know You are holding on to her.

I pray for any siblings Hannah has that You would comfort them too Lord. Let them feel how very much they are loved by you during this time. Use this time to bring Hannah’s family closer together. Bless their home with laughter and love.

However you choose to, I ask that You intervene in this situation, God. It is a small thing for You to do a miracle. I ask that You would. Please comfort this hurting family. Protect their hearts and minds from the enemy’s traps. Give this family a special grace and strength to walk through this time.

I ask this all in the matchless name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Know that I will continue to pray for your family, Hannah. Keep me updated on how things go.

Debra

Blogger Pat said...

"Beautiful" You surely are full of wisdom Debra and knowlegde,I truly enjoyed the read.
Love ya

Anonymous Hannah said...

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits