"Christmas: Crushed or Content?"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.



By: Lynn Cowell
Proverbs 31 Speaker

“Don’t run up debts, except for the huge debt of love you owe each other. When you love others, you complete what the law has been after all along….” Romans 13:8 (Message)


In recent years, I’ve heard the T.V. blare out the news that the credit crunch would definitely affect the Christmas spending. Credit card companies are lowering credit limits and raising interest rates. Maybe you have heard your parents or the news talking about the economy and how things in America just aren’t that great right now. When I heard this news program, I pictured many American families beginning to worry. Where will the money come from to keep up with the way we have grown accustomed to celebrating Christmas?

Is there any possibility, though, that this could actually be a good thing?

Overspending during the holiday season is a joy robber. Why? Because it causes us to stress about money and the hole of debt we have fallen into because of buying so many Christmas gifts. In years past, you might have sensed stress in your family during this season for this very reason.

Romans 13:8 encourages us to owe no one anything except love. How does this relate to Christmas? Take my sister and her family as an example. Gifts of love were what they gave last Christmas. They all chose one family member’s name. In addition to a boughten gift, they also wrote a letter of love to the receiver. Tears of love, healing and forgiveness came as they read their letters out loud. As the tears flowed, she celebrated in her heart their best Christmas ever. The boxes may have been the fewest, but their love was the most!

How about your family as this Christmas season approaches? Could your family to adopt a new way of showing each other how much you really love each other this Christmas?

Dear Lord, Thank You for giving your Son as the ultimate gift to us. Please help me this Christmas to focus on You and help my family to do the same! In Jesus’ name, Amen.

GO DEEPER:


Ponder: 1 Timothy 6:6, “But godliness with contentment is great gain.” (NIV)

Apply: Plan one gift to each of your family members that costs very little but says the world about how you love them.

Share: What is one thing I would like to receive this year that money can’t buy? Is this something you can give to someone else?
© 2008, 2010 by Lynn Cowell. All rights reserved.


Lynn Cowell lives in Charlotte, NC with her family. They enjoy hiking, football, rugby, white water rafting, fast pitch softball and music.


Lynn loves hanging out with girls and challenging them to run hard after Jesus; to discover Him as the purest lover of their heart and to find that He completely fills every corner and every desire. He alone.


For more from Lynn, visit her blog at www.lynncowell.com and connect with Lynn on Facebook at Lynn Martin Cowell.


Labels: , ,



5 Comments:

Anonymous Hannah said...

This Christmas I want my dad to be healed from this exuriating abdominal pain. Or maybe an answer to what is causing all of this pain. All I want for Christmas is my father. I wish I could give something similar to someone else but I can't, only God can.

Blogger Lynn Cowell said...

Dear Jesus,
Please pour Your healing power over Hannah's dad. When you came to earth you didn't just come for our salvation; you came to heal us. Your word says that by Your stripes we are healed. Bring the answer to the "why" of this pain. Be Hannah's joy this Christmas and quiet her aching heart.
Amen

Anonymous RadRevGirls said...

I like the idea of sharing words of love. Sometimes there are just things that we don't say that we really should!

Anonymous RadRevGirls said...

Alexandra: I am going to take a picture of my mom and I and put it in a frame that I decorate.

Lara: I am going to put a note in each family's stocking.

Anna:Raise her grade in Language Arts

Lindsey: Make a picture collage for Grandma

Anonymous RadRevGirls said...

What would you like to receive that money can't buy?

Alexandra: That my brother could stay longer for Christmas

Lindsey: That I would be more disciplined with reading my Bible.

Anna: For my friend to come to Jesus

Lara:Better relationship with God

Madi: That I could hear from God

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits