"Use Me, Lord"

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.


By: Autumn Sisk

“I am the Lord’s servant, ‘Mary answered. May it be to me as you have said.’” Luke 1:38 (NIV)

Mary thought of herself as an average Jewish girl. When the Angel of the Lord visited her, the Bible says she was troubled by the words the Angel used in meeting her: “Greetings you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” (NIV) I’m sure she thought it was a dream. She must have thought to herself, “Why would God find favor with me? I’m only a poor teenager from a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, and I’m not beautiful or well-educated.” She may have even asked the angel if he had the right Mary (it was a common name in that day!).

I believe most of us would react the same way if God sent His angel proclaiming that we were highly favored and God had big plans for us. Mary may have been caught by surprise, but she eagerly accepted with gratitude God’s assignment for her. She knew it would be tough. Her reputation would be tarnished when her family and neighbors found out she was pregnant before she was married. She knew convincing Joseph that she had not been unfaithful to him would be challenging, as well (but God took care of that for her).


Mary knew it would not be easy for her or her fiancée. But above all, Mary wanted to do God’s will and accepted whatever He asked her to do for Him. She saw it as an honor to do God’s work.


She decided in her heart no matter how difficult the task, she would work for God with all of her strength. She also realized if He asked her to do something for Him, He would see her through it. God used her to bring about the greatest gift mankind has ever known, Jesus.


We may not be given a task as tough as giving birth to the Messiah but God has big plans for all of His children. We just have to be willing to accept His calling for our lives, whether it’s moving to a foreign country to do mission work or starting a Bible study with neighbors who don’t know Him. It could be anything, as we see from Mary’s story, and it will require us stepping out of our comfort zone.


Mary accepted God’s call for her life. That is what I want to do, and I can’t wait to see the amazing things God is going to do through me! Are you willing to do the same?


Dear Heavenly Father, thank You so much for Your servant Mary. I want to be like her in spirit and obedience to your call. I ask that You make me attentive to Your plans for my life and give me the strength to follow Your ways. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


GO DEEPER:


Ponder: Isaiah 41:9-10, “You are my servant; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (NIV)


Apply: Begin to pray and ask God to open your eyes and heart to His plans for your life. Ask God to give you a great desire to serve Him no matter the cost.


Read: Totally God’s 4 Life: A Devotional by Megan Clinton


Share: Have you ever heard God ask you to do something for Him? What was your reaction to His call?


© 2009-2010 by Autumn Sisk. All rights reserved.


Autumn Sisk lives in Atlanta, Georgia and has been a competitive tennis player since high school. She enjoys leading a Bible study for teenage girls and wants to one day visit Jerusalem. She is addicted to watching and cheering for the Atlanta Braves and also loves watching the Disney channel on T.V. Her favorite Bible verse is Colossians 3:17 because knowing how much Jesus loves her inspires her to live her life for Him.



www.radrevolution.org
A Division of Proverbs 31 Ministries

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits